Black Lawn Death

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toddco, Sep 17, 2003.

1. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

Okay, I need some help on this. The whole lawn here was brown just a week ago. We had nearly no rain all summer. Now that the rain came there are huge patches of black but everything else greened up.

These were the first spots to turn brown in the summer. Any ideas?

2. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if you can, get a close up of a couple blades of grass
  4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Weird kind of looks rusty.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Thats what are crabgrass looks like when it gets cooled and dies.
  6. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

It would surprise me if it was crabgrass. The blades are finer, and I've got plenty of healthy crabgrass still elsewhere. :(

These patches were the first spots to brown up when the weather started getting dry - if that gives any clue.

Thanks for any ideas.
  7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Is there a septic tank buried there?
  8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

What do the other lawns in the neighborhood look like? Were'nt there some aerial pollution from a plant nearby that washed down with the rain and deposited on these lawns? I dont know, I'm just thinking maybe it's something worse than the usual disease or whatever????
  9. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

The other lawns in the neighborhood look good.

There isn't a septic buried there but I was suspicious if rocks or other poor soil conditions caused it since it was the first area to turn brown as the summer temps and dry weather came earlier this year.

It just surprised me how it turned black once the rains came last week. Everything else went from brown to green.
  10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Perhaps pythium blight????

Description of pythium blight is as followed:
    disease is first seen as small, irregularly-shaped, watersoaked, greasy patches 1 to 4 inches in diameter. A cottony growth may be visible early in the morning. Diseased areas spread rapidly and may eventually range from 1 to 10 feet in diameter. Pythuim blights develop best in warm, wet weather. The disease is most severe on grass grown under high nitrogen fertilization and excess moisture.