BLACK-MAC in Ontario

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by SHAWZER, Jun 28, 2013.

1. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

Thanks , that driveway took me about 1 1/2 hours of spraying , took my time. Only guessing weight at 300 lbs. empty. Trailer is very handy with everything inside , summer and winter . What do you use for blocker boards ? You work by yourself ? I do , takes a little longer but then any mistakes are mine . :laugh:

2. pockets8815

pockets8815 LawnSite Member

I work on my own as well, it takes me a lot longer than the competition but the end product looks better (and I don't have any hassle paying anyone else). I tape everything off, I use a painters tool to apply tape and 12" of paper at the same time. Average material cost on a 2 car driveway is about $5 for the tape/paper. Plus I cut in along the garage by hand with a small roller. Its probably a rookie type of move, but my customers all comment on how much "care" i put into the job. That is what I like about the job, having a happy customer with a nice driveway. This is perfect to run along the edges where there are curbs or sidewalks. A bit of a pain in the wind, but faster than moving boards around. For the boards up against the garage, I use the 2x4' cheap stuff from home depot, less than $3 per board. They last a long time. And I made up a guard from aluminum as well, with a kickstand on the back to help hold it in tricky situations. All in all works well, but setup takes awhile.

3. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

Have not tried masking paper yet , but maybe in near future . I bent some aluminum on 90 degree , works good for corners . Going to try some 2 by 4 foot aluminum sheets instead of wooden ones I have now . Blocker boards with a kick stand sounds like a good idea . I still use some 2 by 8 foot boards to lay down on sidewalks and end of driveway curbs. Rain here for next 2 days so jobs being postponed . Good to have jobs ahead. :drinkup:

4. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

Some people are funny and - or weird . 5 minutes after spraying a driveway today the lady wants to cut her grass . I tell her to wait until tomorrow because clippings will stick to her driveway . She then asked me if I filled the cracks which was never mentioned before . No I said , I told you I do not do crack filling . ( no cracks in her driveway anyways ) . She then tells me she does not like the shiny look . I tell her it is still wet and will fade down to a rich black color . 2 days ago when she called me she said she liked the driveway I did 1 block from her . :dizzy::hammerhead:

5. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

J F Gauvreau hows your sealing going this year , are you spraying Sealmaster or Blackmac ? :canadaflag:

6. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

A company near me is spraying acrylic , not sure if the product is inferior or the guy spraying does not care . One driveway they did and a month later had to spray again, same company and guy. Other driveways with caution tape still up are covered with lines and many spots that they missed . I like that they are doing terrible work because I have been getting phone calls and more work out of it . :laugh::dizzy:

7. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

I have not been able to spray on a Monday or Tuesday all summer , too wet and - or windy . Weird summer . :dizzy:

8. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

Finally able to spray on a Monday , good thing because calling for rain next 3 days . Hows everyone else doing ? Half done a driveway today a car pulls up and demands I drive 5 blocks now to give him a quote . I told him when I am done in half hour I will come down . He got angry and sped off while I was laughing at him . Some people . :hammerhead::laugh:

9. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

Just paid $ 1.90 a litre in Barrie , they said going up another 15 cents a litre . Anyone want to share how much they are paying ?

10. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

My stainless tips seem to work better than the ceramic ones , anyone else find this ? Sometimes think I am talking to myself on here . :laugh::laugh::drinkup: