Black Mac No Good?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by Loooogie, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Loooogie

Loooogie LawnSite Senior Member
    from YORK

I heard coal tar is much better, cheaper, easier to use and dries faster.

Black Mac is oil based right?

2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Better wearing, Yes.

Cheaper......... about the same, cost less, then add latex additives, and sand, and Over Head, as the equipment cost way more ( and hard to find in our area) and also "oil sealer" goes way farther then coal tar.

easier to use, No

dries faster, yes, depending on the additive, but both need cure time.

3. Loooogie

from YORK

Which one do you think is less forgiving when sealing?

4. shepoutside

You need to figure out what your target market is going to be, and what is most popular in your area. I apply both, because Coal Tar is a hard sell. BlackMac is king for residential driveways, and people are use to the "Shiny Stuff" and are upset when they see a mat finish. I have coal tar for commercial accounts, and even that is not common in my area, and is a hard sell, as most businesses don't even seal. Cambridge is a fair size, and only 5 places are sealed. Check your area, and see what is in demand. This is mostly a American Forum, and in the states, CT and AE is more common, as is the equipment to put it down.

back to your question, Blackmac is easier to apply, as you just need to spray it. Get Solval from Marathon for clean up or any mistakes you may do.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

You heard correctly .

6. Loooogie

from YORK

Hey shep how many square feet do you get out of a gallon of black mac?

You know I spoke to a guy this week selling a system like this.

[​IMG]

He told me he only uses coal tar emulsion with no sand.

The thing is from what little I know, don't you need a very expensive system to spray coal tar?

So I am confused, how does this guy do it? Is he ripping off his customers?

7. shepoutside

The key word there, is NO SAND The sand wears these type of pumps fast. Even without sand, the pumps have a short life, but as there cheaper, it's a trade off.
    When mixed properly with 4-6 pounds of sand per gallon (for added strength and skid resistance) and latex modifiers (for elasticity), the coating will last on your parking lot for many years. No sand, it's slick, and it won't have the hardness, so it will not have the wear factor.

8. Loooogie

from YORK

Thank you Shep, I was consfused for a little while there, people are telling different things. I should have taken your word as golden from the get go.

It makes sense what you are saying. This guy must be a crook.

If you can make a decent living providing a good service then there is no need to cheat people.

I spoke to more than a few people and they do not like the flat finish anyway.

Going to buy a pump, hose, tank and some fittiings for my system tommorow. Do I need a system to mix the material AS I spray the Black Mac?

9. shepoutside

Yes, use a pressure relief valve, and it will send the sealer back to the tank to recirculate the mix. Make sure you have a Y Strainer too. Don't forget, plastic tanks are not legal in Ontario:nono:, and TJ Pounder will not fill it.

y-strainer.jpg

pressure-relief-valve.jpg

10. Loooogie

from YORK

Well worth it!

Pressure relief valve is only 45 bucks and will help reduce pressure on your pump as well as mix your tank. I am thinking of putting a pressure guage on there as well just for the hell of it?

Y Strainer on the supply as well as one small one on the wand, is just basic!

I am going to hard wire everything to my tank and I have a great idea to make sure I have great mix.

Hey do you use a gear reduction on your pump?