Black Rock Lawn Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by procut, Nov 12, 2004.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Up until a few months ago I used a 52" Black Rock walk behind mower. I had never heard of a Black Rock mower before. I bought it at an auction real cheap. It was always a good machene, but decided to upgrade to ZTR. Just wondered if anyone else ever heard of these mowers?

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

not as a mower but they made a good driver called killer bee

3. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

I think this was the company that made "Byers" (or "Byers Gold") mowers a number of years ago. I believe they may have gone bankrupt. Based in either Louisville, or southern IN?

Also, I think I read that their assets were purchased, and that the factory was producing the mower that Landscaper's Supply markets.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Black Rock was purchased by Landscaper Supply a while ago. There wasn't really a factory involved. They bought the engines and components like spindles and bearings from various suppliers and had the frame and deck parts built in China. Everything was assembled in a warehouse and shipped from there. Landscaper Supply had the entire mower line including the prints, whatever mower components they had left over and Chinese contacts for sale on Ebay for $50,000. I don't know if anybody bought it or not.

5. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

My first w/b was a Black Rock 48'' 15hp belt drive a good mower for what I paid.
    I still got it I use it for a backup. When my son works with me in the summer it's used full time. next year I will be selling it. Getting a new Scag and my Scag I'm
    using now will be my backup.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I believe that the "Bradely" mowers have some connection to the Landscapers Supply/Blackrock machines. They look exactly like them, and are manufactured in China I believe. An outfit called "Mower Sulky", or something like that, had a really funny video clip, on their website, advertising the Bradely mowers. The narrator of the video had just finished a course in speaking English before he made the video. It was pretty funny.

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

lol yes i have watched that video. its not the speaker, i think what they did was recorded te video in chinese, and then used a translstor to change it to english. its in half english and half chinese, they lost somthing somwhere in the translation LOL

8. tn_redman

tn_redman LawnSite Member

hey procut, i just bought one of the 52" the landscaper mowers made by black rock and i am trying to find out what deck belt it takes.Do you have any idea and does your mower have the manual blade engagement on it?

9. RoyJ01

RoyJ01 LawnSite Member

I just purchased a deck belt, the large one, for my mower. If have not found let me know and I will look up the brand and number. RoyJ01