black smoke on startup. Diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brucec32, Jun 2, 2006.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have an exmark lazer with a 23hp kawi. It has about 200 hours. Recently on start-ups I get a small cloud of black sooty smoke. Otherwise it runs strong. Oil level is correct.

I assume this is from some sort of rich fuel mix situation? What do I need to look for in terms of problems? Could it be the choke not returning to the fully open position? Should I check the plugs?

Your ideas appreciated.
  2. rickt

rickt LawnSite Member

Might want to check your spark plug, if you replace it or it still looks ok drain all the gas and add a little back and add about a spoon-full of gas treatment (aka carb cleaner - from walmart) and it should fix your problem. I had a mower that always shot out black smoke and after i ran some gas treatment through it, it stopped. Im not sure what it was to begin with.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing to check would be the choke, Then look at the plugs and see if they are black. Do you haul this unit around on a trailer ? Do you shut the fuel off while pulling ? Could be bouncing around and flooding.

Also there is a service bulletin on the air filter, I posted it here; Go to post 3
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks. Yes, it does get some bouncing in on the trailer from time to time. I cable it down rather than use straps. I have had some previous fuel filter problems with this and another Kawi engine so I will check that too.