blacktop/pavers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cutbetterthanyou, Mar 1, 2007.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

First off I don't do pavers(just trying to learn) so this may be a dumb question, but I was wondering how do you put down a blacktop driveway w/ pavers around the edge and designs thru the middle? Are they put in w/ the blacktop, or do you lay the blacktop then cut out the blacktop w/ a saw and then lay the pavers?

2. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

cleanest look = do the black top first, let it harden, cut with saw, install pavers

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You will never get a good, clean install of the asphalt if you install the pavers first. It's better to have the asphalt put down, then cut out the asphalt where needed and install the pavers.

4. cutbetterthanyou

Thanks I had been wondering about this for a while. I think it will work out best for my buget and long driveway. If I do it like this I can do it in phases. Anotheir question I have is do you have to put the blacktop in as thick as the layer of sand and paver, or do you dig some of the base out after you cut away the blacktop?

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Once you cut the blacktop you still have to excavate and install base to proper depth for vehicular apps.

chris

6. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I agree with chris, I would install a new base. Make sure you get the area compacted very well (it will be tough)

Alot of contractors would just install on the asphalt base, but I never trust someone elses base, especially if you are doing the borber/edge of the driveway. That area is notorius for being weak on asphalt applications around here.

I just priced a job, that I believe I am going to get. with a 21" border and a 10 foot apron on an exsisting asphalt drive, If we do it, ill take some pictures and try to learn how to post them for you.

7. cutbetterthanyou

Thanks for all of your help