Blackwidow

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tjsquickcuts, Sep 27, 2006.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

For some strange reason, I have run across about 10 to 15 blackwidows the last few weeks. This worries me because I had never seen a blackwidow outside the Zoo or TV until now.....and with pansey season around the corner, I am going to spending more time watching my hands then planting my flats.....Just curious if anyone else in my region have noticed this also....

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

In the Florida panhandle, I see them ALL the time......always have. Now quit sounding like my wife and don't worry about the little spiders.

3. kjm

kjm LawnSite Member

I too have seen several Black Widow spiders this summer.....I have not noticed them before.....matter of fact I found 2 webs/spiders at my house....

4. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

In Atlanta and you've never seem one?! strange,... Anyway, I always keep an eye out for these dang things. I killed 3 on my patio yesterday! You can always tell if a Black widow is living nearby by the web they make, very strong and it has no rhyme or reason!

Their bite is supposedly the most painful spider bite you can get and you can only have the anti-venom one time.

I F'ING HAAAAAAATE spiders!!!! I would rather deal with snakes!!!!

5. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

you can only have the anti-venom one time?! really? Why I wonder? I am glad we don't have to deal with those stupid things. I would have to have my wife kill them for me, I am too much of a wuss when it comes to spiders. :cry: heh heh.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I was in commercial pest elimination for about 10 years.
    The poster was right about their web. It looks like a cotton ball pulled apart in all directions and is very tough.
    Baby spiders come out of the sack and start climbing and spinning a web until the breeze catches them. Wherever the wind takes them, that's how they get around.
    I used to wonder about it and did a little research. I had an Olive Garden in Roanoke Va. that always had black widows around the dumpster. They were in the flightline of the airport and there was nothing but a grass field anywhere closeby.
    I have only seen one black widow inside a building and it was nearby that Olive Garden. I was fogging the ceiling of a place called Shakers and it tried to get away from the pyrethrum mix we were using and dropped from the ceiling. It almost landed on my shoulder.
    Be careful.

7. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

I had an Olive Garden in Roanoke Va. that always had black widows around the dumpster. They were in the flightline of the airport and there was nothing but a grass field anywhere closeby.
    I have only seen one black widow inside a building and it was nearby that Olive Garden. I was fogging the ceiling of a place called Shakers and it tried to get away from the pyrethrum mix we were using and dropped from the ceiling. It almost landed on my shoulder.
    Be careful.

so are ya saying I shouldnt eat at shakers ?I dont care much for olive garden !!! but I like shakers, Tharell did ya use to live here ?
    and btw we have black widows everywhere here !!! just another bug to me

8. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

I've always heard that their bites are nasty. How come you can only get the anti venom once? Also, I read somewhere that they will, more often than not, run away from you and not try to bite you.

9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in west central Fla and I've never seen 1. Or at least that I noticed. I see snakes all the time, but no Black Widows.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

only one I have ever seen is my ex-wife :laugh: