blade balance guestion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danielmorvant, Jun 21, 2007.

1. danielmorvant

danielmorvant LawnSite Member

Ive been sharpening my own blades on two commercial mowers for a while now but ive never balanced them. my mowers never vibrate so im wondering is balancing important every time you sharpen blades.
  2. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

I throw mine on a $5 plastic balancer just to make sure they arent way out of wack ... youd be suprised , sometimes they are wayy out of wack. some guys swear it doesnt matter, but think about it, if one end is way heavier than the other it HAS to wear out spindle bearings faster.

$5 isnt a big investment lol ..
  3. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

you'll get about a 50/50 split answer on this one from guys that do and guys that don't. I ballance mine and I can tell the difference in terms of vibration from blades that are balanced and those that are way out. FWIW most new blades are off out of the box.

4. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Round shank screwdriver to balance mine.
  5. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

To balance you should indicate the center of the hole. That is why the good balancers have a conical locating surface.

6. gtobey

gtobey LawnSite Member

After mowing many yards for many years, and working as a mechanic in the precise world of diesel fuel injection, I finally replaced the old "conical" balancer with a REAL balancer. The unit I got is the Magna-Matic MAG-1000. What a difference! There is not the slightest bit of shake, vibration, etc. anymore! I have even done some really heavy blades such as the 60" JD mid mount deck on a 655 tractor, and this balancer works really great! I can see where it will save my spindle bearings and crankshaft bearings on my push mowers, let alone the operator fatigue that is avoided with the lack of vibration!

It takes a little bit of time to learn how to balance a blade properly, but once you get the hang of it, you can even tell if the hole in the blade is off-center! I found that the new set of blades for my 717-A JD Z-turn was way off to begin with! Balancing is time well invested!

I will not run a blade new or resharpened anymore without balancing it first!
  7. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

So what kind of "real balancer" do you use?
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Yeah, only so you can play with your new toy. :D

I use a 8x16mm bearing with a 8mm bolt, a few nuts and it's bolted to my tool box. Sticks out a few inches but it's not in the way. Gravity is your friend. :) I had to close the garage door yesterday, the breeze was making it move. The center hole of the blade is a exact fit to the bearing, any dirt and it won't let the 16mm outer bearing race go in the hole. It doesn't matter if the hole is off center at all if your using a bearing, the bearing is a perfect fit so when you put the blade on, the heavy side of the entire blade will drop to the bottom. If the blade stops at a horizontal position, it's balanced, doesn't matter if the hole is off center at this point because your using the center hole as the fixed point. This method is WAY more accurate then a nail or screw driver.

There's a down side, you would need a different size bearing for each size hole. They make some very small roller bearings in metric and SAE sizes. I know I've used 3x5mm in my r/c car and other small 1/8x1/4 SAE sizes as well but I haven't checked the hole in the push mower, I think it's 3/8.
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

He said, quote "Magna-Matic Mag-1000" right there in his post!
  10. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Sorry, I see that now.