Blade balance: To check or not to check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Put in a post recently about replacing my spindles on my Metro. One was wobbly and the repair shop noticed it right off. Have had new ones on about a month and the new spindle on that same side is starting to wobble. When I took it in the first time, they asked me if my blades were out of balance? I told them I don't think so. YOu would think if this may be the culpret, they would have checked them for balance. With the new wobble starting , I don't think they did. So, even without me asking them to check the balance, should they have checked them or not?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The balance of the blade will be off everytime you sharpen them. Get a magna blade balancer for the precision.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

schlepie--don't take this the wrong way but you are responsible for knowing whether your blades are balanced, not the dealer.

even if you return your blades to the dealer to be sharpened, you are responsible for asking them if they balanced the blades after sharpening.

and the way you have explained the situation, it sounds as though you never sharpen OR balance your blades. and that is unusual because most of the members here seem to post that they sharpen and balance blades dailey.

but to respond directly to your question, I assume that when you say the spindle wobbles, that the spindle bearing is worn out. no, I don't think an out of balance blade would wear out a spindle bearing in the time you have stated. you may have other problems.

let us know what you find out.

4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I know I will get heat for this but I think balancing blades is a waste of time, or at least for me. In 10 years I have never replaced a spindle and have never balanced a blade either. My bobcat wb are 6 years old and still have the original spindles. Maybe I am just lucky.
  5. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

blades are sharpened, but not on a daily basis. Don't see the need. I think for now, weekly is adaquate.

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

A good general rule of thumb is every 8 hours of mow time to sharpen & balance
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

possibly. but it doesn't take much time the way that I do it. so I do it.

and I don't think I can wear the spindles out on my lesco.

they are massive taper bearings and they get greased everyday that the machine is used. it takes about 15 seconds to grease all three spindles.

8. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Balancing is important.

I had a problem with bad bearings on a Scag WB before I got a good blade balancer. All 3 splindles would go bad at about the same time. I didn't think it could make that much diffrence and I really didn't want to spend $120 on a good balancer but, since I've been using the MagnaMatic I haven't had anymore problems.

Also, do you want to risk you, your employees, and your customers due to a equiptment failure (possibly caused by out of balance blades).

Bad things happen when things vibrate at high speeds...
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

:gunsfirin :dizzy: Some days and some things just amaze me.:dizzy:
  10. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

in over 20 years of mowing I have never once balanced a blade and never will . I have never had a problem and if a bearing goes out its not that big of deal to change if you can turn a wrench. but thats just me everyone has there own way of doing things if it works for you then by all means do it