blade balancer bearing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flyboy03, Jun 2, 2004.

1. flyboy03

flyboy03 LawnSite Member

source for bearing please. several bearing houses have no such animal...looked in the grainger catalog and all bearings listed in millimeters?

original post:Likestomow

A blade balancer is a device that utilizes ball bearings to allow the blade to turn easily and show which side is more heavily weighted.

For the past four years I have been using two 5/8" bearings, from a bearing house, with a 1/4" center hole. I have them mounted on a 1/4" lag bolt with a nylon spacer behind them. The spacer allows the bearings to protrude out from the edge of a shelf. I then just slide each blade on the two bearings to check the balance. The cost is less than $3.

This is an idea I got from Eric Elm and it has been a WONDERFUL tool for me.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Federal Mogul part number:

You should be able to cross reference from that number. I got mine locally from a auto parts store.
  3. flyboy03

flyboy03 LawnSite Member

thank you richard martin. for others that may be interested, this may help...i called several auto parts houses to be told it would be a special order and cost around $13.00. i then tried a bearing house and was told the SS in the federal mogul part number meant stainless steel. perhaps the stainless steel version lead to the high cost. the part # that the bearing house had in stock was R4 2RS... cost $1.50... can't wait to check it out against the plastic static cone balancer.:blob1: