1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

blade Balancer for Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by above all, Jun 3, 2003.

1. above all

above all LawnSite Member

Will some one tell me. MM has not returned my e mail..... Can I use a MM BB for my blades that have cups attached ? or will I have to take the cups off to balance ?
  2. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

I'm going from memory here... but I believe the cups have a "D" or double "D" shaped holes which is used to mate to a flat on the shaft which times the blades.

Assuming that is true, then you would have to remove the cups to get the blades to sit true on the balancer.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Remove cups for full exposer and then balance those puppies.

4. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" GHS deck and can center my Walker blades on my magna matic balancer without removing the cups. Place the blade on the balancer with the cup away from the balancer (you will be looking at the cup facing you as the blade is on the balancer). I think it is best to balance with the cup on because it is on when the blade is in operation, and it could have an impact on the overall weight and balance of the blade.
  5. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I sent an email to Walker and Magna Matic last fall and MM replied that they wer working on an adaptor to fit.
    I do the cup out method, but I 'd like it to be perfect.
    Send them a note, Maybe theve got it done.
  6. above all

above all LawnSite Member

Thanks for the infomation everyone I must agree that balancing the blade with the cups on seems like the right thing to do, as the cup becomes par t of the blade system and it sould be balanced,..
    what good is a blade that is balanced if the cup you attach is not true. Axman. I droped a note to MM as you suggested. They emailed me right back this time and told me that they have been to busy to pursue the adapter. They also asked that i send them a blade and cup to work on.. they tld me that they do not have any Walker dealer nearby. How do you think I should respond? Ok here is a blade and cup.. Now send me a balancer and I will see how it works. Fair trade. I do find it funny that MM has to ask me for a blade and cup. Looking forward for eveyones feedback on this one. thanks.
  7. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that this seems like a mickey mouse way of doing business on MM's part......they should go buy a blade and cup and then develop whatever they need to meet their customer's needs.

Having said that......I have no problem balancing my Walker blades on the MM balancer as described in my earlier post. The MM balancer is fantastic.....definitely the way to go.
  8. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

When I last Heard from MM, they were getting one from Walker, a benefit to both companies, I think.
    However, it seems that nothing is happening on that front.
    I can understand the buzy part.
    Wow what a spring so far.
  9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Can't help with the Walker blades, but I think the MM is way too sensitive to be used for balancing something as crude as a mower blade.

The precision leaves something to be desired. For instance, I can balance my blades with the grass side out, then turn them over and check them with the grass side in, and they're way off. Or get 3 different reading by mounting them three different times. I believe this is because it's too sensitive, so any small difference in how the blade mounts throws off the reading.

Not to mention all of the crude that accumulates on the blade and throws off the balance as soon as you start cutting.

I just use mine to make sure the blades aren't grossly out of balance or bent.