Blade Balancer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRAD ROMEO, Jul 12, 2006.

1. BRAD ROMEO

BRAD ROMEO LawnSite Member

does anybody know of other brands of blade balancers as good as the magna matic and less money.if so do they have a web addess. THANKS

2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

nope ,it's the best. Step up, pay the man ,and be done with it.

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I moaned and complained when I got mine too but there really isn't a better one on the market. I really complained when I bought their sharpener also but it too was well worth the money. You will find none better, believe me.

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a foreign knockoff imitation,and it ain't cheap, just a pale imitation of the original!! and best magna-matic !!

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I feel that its a gimmick. Reason being is the fact that in over 20 years we have had 2 spindles go bad and they were both sealed bearing spindles that lasted over 1,500+ hours anyway and they ran dry. You could hear them getting dry. We have never balanced a blade in our life with no problems. Heck for that matter we use a hand grinder with no problems. I am going to invest in a dedicated grinder to keep the angles correct but we wont be buying a magna matic. Thats way to much money for only 2 mowers. I dont count our scag. Its such a POS and we only use it on 1 lawn a week anyway for about 5 minutes.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't just balance to save parts....I balance to reduce vibration.

New blades are NOT balanced, and I can feel the difference!

7. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Low tech solution, drive a small finishing nail straight in the wall. Hang blade on nail to check balance. Adjust blade if necessary.

An old timer showed me this. I took my blade to the mower shop to check balance and it was spot-on.

8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Nail in the wall is just fine. Rotate the blade in a couple different positions and it should not move at all if it is in balance.

For those of you who want a different method: A short piece of 2 x 4 with a long piece of stiff wire (about 5 or 6 inches) and a cone. You can make the cone from one of those yellow mole peanut poison containers. Use the top black band as a guide for placing the blade on the cone.

Nosmo

9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

you know, you are as bad as those customers who want a top notch lawn guy but want to pay bottom dollar. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If you NEED to sharpen and balances alot of blades in little time then go magna matic by all means because no other comes close in that department. However, if you only need to sharpen 2 or three sets of blades at a time then use a bench grinder with cheap balancer. The magna matic balancer will always be DEAD ON!!! The cheap one will not quickly balance a blade to such close tolerances as the magna matic.

You get what you pay for. I havent bought a magna matic yet as I only have a few blades a week to sharpen. I havent balanced a single blade since I bought my machine and to be honest it has had no ill effects on the unit, running strong at 300 hours. If spindle bearings actually do fail prematurely (500 - 800 hours is prematurely in my book) then maybe I will balance the blades from there on out. But, until then I am not gonna balance, it is all a hype until I see a failure on my own equipment.