1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Balancing importance a myth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hobart, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Hobart

Hobart Banned
    from Canada!

Just finished balancing all my blades with my new Mag balancer that came with the sharpener. They were all WAY OFF. Took over 2 hours to get them perfectly balanced.
    I have been running alot of unbalanced blades on alot of mowers with thousands of hours on them for many years and have never had a spindle problem.
    Just an observation.
    It is nice knowing they are balanced but I can't help wondering if it was all a waste of time.

2. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

That is hard to say hobart, I personally like mine well balanced, Makes the engine run smoother and less vibration but I have as you have run with unbalanced blades. On my Airens 30" Hi Vac rider I especially notice when the blades are off balance, more of a humming sound comming from below.
  3. shadetree

shadetree LawnSite Member

if it had to take you as long as you say, you do not sharpen your blades often enough.
    you should sharpen your blade as soon as they are dull, which does not take much time at all.
    plus you will save yourself alot more time cutting your grass versas tearing your grass. you will also make the job look better having a sharpen blade.
    if you mow alot of yards, drop your blades half way through the day and replace them with a new set. just doing this will speed up your time on each job, plus your customers will be impressed on how well their yard looks.
  4. Hobart

Hobart Banned
    from Canada!

Shadetree, the blades were kept sharp. A sharp blade is not necessarily a balanced blade. They will become more unbalanced with each sharpening if not corrected.
  5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

ahh, casey, dull, unbalanced, upside down.

at least you keep things interesting:p