Blade balancing with a Magna-Matic

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DennisF, Jan 31, 2005.

1. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I bought a new Magna-Matic blade balancer recently and have been balancing my blades with it for about 2 weeks now. I can say that the difference is amazing. I used a cone up until now and I thought that the blades were balanced pretty well. I was wrong. This Magna-Matic gets them perfect. Vibration in the mower deck is non-existent. If you're not balancing your blades with this tool...they're not balanced. The Magna-Matic is worth every penny. Everybody should have one of these.

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just placed an order for the Mag-8000 sharpner and balancer combo not more then 5 minutes ago. I can't wait to get them and try them out!

3. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Laugh if you want, but I use a nail driven in the wall to balance my blades. Try this. Take a new set of blades and hang them on a nail. :blob3:

4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

YOU SPENT 1000 to sharpen blades?

i think i could buy new blades for that price.

5. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

My cone works fine. I would like to upgrade sooner or later but it is not high on my priority list.

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I forgot to mention...new blades are not balanced when you get them. They are not even close. I checked 4 sets of brand new blades with the Magna-Matic and all were far from balanced. This included a set of Gator mulching blades.

7. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Good to know. I have never checked my blades when they are new. Not that i've bought alot of blades. Im going to get a set of gators tomorrow and I will definitly be checking them now. Thanks for the heads up.

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Balancing blades is just as important as balancing tires. New tires are not balanced and new blades aren't either. Out of balance blades will cause premature failure of spindle bearings and can cause decks to crack plus add to the discomfort of the operator.

There's nothing wrong with spending money for the best blade sharpener and balancer available. An LCO spends several thousand dollars for a mower and a lot more money for the rest of his equipment.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont have a balancer or blade grinder but I hope to this season at some point. It may be alot of money to put out at the time but I have seen some blade grinders at mower shops and they look like antiques. I think its a 1 time investment and then just replacing grinding stones as they wear out. $1000 over a 20 year period = $50.00 or around the price of 2 sets of blades a year

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

GCF has got it right. It doesn't cost a lot to do the job right. Everything on the mower is designed to get the blades to cut grass so it really makes sense to have the best service possible for these blades.

He is assuming an amortization period of 20 years but he isn't taking into consideration the longer life of spindle bearing and increased operator comfort. These are additional benefits.

I am amazed at how little attention many LCOs pay to properly sharpening their blades. Once, I had a customer who operated several 21" Lawn Boys and ran his blades until they were completely worn out and never sharpened them.