blade balancing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassleg, Jul 14, 2008.

1. grassleg

grassleg LawnSite Member

which of you sharpens your own blades?
    if so, do you balance?
    if you have always sharpened your own, and didnt balance, and now you do, have you noticed the difference for prevention?

i just replaced the spindle housing on one of our exmark 60"*edit* the spindle housing was cracked, also replaced a pully three days before on the other side of the deck*edit*, this made me wonder if it might have made it another season had we balanced our blades..
    just wanting some input from those with experience

oh, we currently do not balance our blades...and we have to change blades on the daily.
  2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you should balance for less wear on parts. You can notice a difference not only from balanced to not balanced, but between balanced with a cheap plastic cone device and with a precision Magna-Matic balancer.
    Some of my blades balanced on a cone, required as much as several passes on the grinder to balance out on the magnamatic, showing the cones are not very accurate, though better than not balancing. The magnamatic will also tell you if your blades have been bent and need replacing.
  3. Manorscape

Manorscape LawnSite Member
    from PA

Do you run those blades through a bead blaster before balancing? Yo have to get that crust off of them if its going to be accurate at all, such a pain in the a$$.
  4. have never ever balanced a blade and no problems.
  5. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Do buy and use a magnamatic , I've had one for years. Whilst it's true there maybe little or no damage to the shaft and bearing, it sure does cut down on vibration. :usflag:

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I don't balance very often but if I do I use a nail or the cone shaped balancer. Toro's cast iron spindles can handle a bit of out of balance.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

A nail is no true balance..................
  8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I balance mine with the cheap plastic cone balancer from Lowes. I have used the magnetic blancer and didn't care for it. The plastic cone is fine to use, imo. I can tell a difference when I din't balance the blades.
  9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Works fine for me and a ton of others on this site!
  10. lawnjocky

lawnjocky LawnSite Member

Everyone should balance their blades. It's a simple job when changing blades. Not balancing blades will cause/speed up wear on parts of the machine. Balancing blades is just normal preventive maintenance. Do you change the oil, filters, grease, paint, etc..? You want your equipment to last with minimal breakdowns so you can maximum profit off that machine.

A nail or screwdriver will work but the Magna-Matic is best. It will also quickly check the straightness of the blade. A straight blades leaves a better cut and won't cause vibration. If you want to save a few bucks watch Ebay for a used one.