Blade Balancing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Once you check your blades on a balancer, how do you go about balancing them? I've seen some with holes drilled in them, but I don't have access to a drill. Any other methods?

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Just sharpen the heavier blade a bit more to remove material.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Once again, what PETE said. ;)

But who doesn't own a drill? My brother in law who doesn't know the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver has a drill! :eek:

To balance. Sharpen till both sides are sharp. Then install on balancer. The side that drops (and how fast it drops) is the heavy side. Simply grind a few more light passes off that side. Then recheck. Eventually you'll get good at estimating the amount needed to remove.

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

ME ME ME ME!!!

When i need stuff done with a drill i have my brother come over. he does a lot of carpentry stuff. I guess i've never really found the need for one...........until now

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

you still don't need a drill. I have found that a big ballpeen hammer works quite nicely.

the "heavy end" of the blade is the "fat end" of the blade.

whack the fat end of the blade with the ballpeen hammer and it will become slightly smaller with each whack. it is only a question of how many whacks to deliver.

it helps to have a tree stump or cinder block handy to use as an anvil.

works for me.

GEO

6. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

[the "heavy end" of the blade is the "fat end" of the blade.

whack the fat end of the blade with the ballpeen hammer and it will become slightly smaller with each whack. it is only a question of how many whacks to deliver.

it helps to have a tree stump or cinder block handy to use as an anvil.

works for me.

GEO [/B][/QUOTE]

How does that change the excessive weight on that particular part of the blade? Am I missing something? I'm not a blacksmith or anything but a grinder always works for me!

7. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I would just put some of them sticky celing fan weights on the light side....or some gum...that should work.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

How does that change the excessive weight on that particular part of the blade? Am I missing something? I'm not a blacksmith or anything but a grinder always works for me! [/B][/QUOTE]

kauffman--the whacking with a hammer is an alternative to ultimate lawns drilling holes in the blade to balance the blade.

as you whack the heavy end...it gets smaller and therefore weighs less and more in balance.

no trade secrets here.

GEO;)

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Geogunn - Ummmm, I don't think so. You've still got the same amount of metal, you just changed the shape of it...unless you're wacking it so hard that pieces are flying off...and then you're just ruining a good blade.

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah. What he said.

:D