Blade belt- How tight? Should Pulley/Blade spin after off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, Aug 4, 2005.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

My blade belt seems to be a little loose, there seems to be a little bit of slack when its engaged- should I tighten it or leave it. It has fallen off of the pulley.

Also, one of my spindles has been spinning after I disengage it. The other one stops fairly quickly. It seems like its attributed to the blet being loose.

Any ideas?
  2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I would check my manual. If no manual is available I would take up some of that slack because it looks like to me it will begin to slip sooner or later. With that slack taken up the longer spinning blade should stop with the other ones .

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

In the future post these kind of questions in the repair section you will get faster answers. I am guessing this is a walkbehind mower 36" or similar so yes if the belt is loose when you engage it then it needs adjustment. Make sure the mower if OFF and engage your belt, there should be an adjuster block with one nut and two eyebolts on the engagment arm, hold the adjuster block with a 9/16 wrench and loosen the nut with a 1/2 wrench then turn the adjuster block so that the slack in the belt is taken up. Just tighten enough so you feel good resistance when you engage your blade lever dont over tighten you will know if you did this if you have to struggle to engage your blades. Once you have it right, lock down the adjuster block with the one nut you loosened before making your adjustment. Grease your spindles and cut some grass.
    Hope this Helps :)