Blade/Bench Grinder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEWGUYRI, Jan 16, 2010.

1. NEWGUYRI

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys. I am going all out this year, which will mean a lot more mowing. I was just wondering if I should get a blade or bench grinder. If so what do you guys reccomend, and where should I get it? Thanks.

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I always sucked at sharpening blades, so I bought a Magna Matic and I am very happy with it...it is not cheap but is a great long term investment.

3. NEWGUYRI

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

the 8000 or 9000?

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I bought the 8000, but kind of by accident...I thought I was buying the smaller one....either way I think the 9000 would be sufficient. Hope that helps a bit.

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

You would only need the 8000 if you use mulching blades. I bought a 9000 two years ago, and have been very satisfied with it.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we have a rbg like mentioned above. it has been good, maybe not considered as good as a magna matic by some, but very good. we have had it for ten years or so. def get the right tool for the job, dont use a hand grinder

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I use a bench grinder.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Lets not forget to mention the tool you have to buy to re-true the wheel,
    where to get it (and the *&%^'n star wheels), and how often the wheel
    goes out of round.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Any box store that sells grinders have them. The grinder I bought came with a dressing stone. If your good, you don't need to dress the stone all the time. I haven't had to clean up the face on my grinder since new.