Blade Bevel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T-Bone, Feb 20, 2001.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

In the past I've kepped a 30 degree bevel on my blades. Recently I purchased new gators with 35 degree bevel and high lift with 30 degree bevel. My question is, witch bevel is right or does it depend on what blade your useing? Does 5 degrees even make a difference?

I've had these blades cryogentic treated as I questioned in a previous post, just waiting for the magic weather so I can share the results.

Thanks for your opinion

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You will find that new blades with a low angle will dull faster and chip very easy. I leave my grinder set at the same angle all the time, maybe 45 deg, I have never checked.The new blades grind faster with less material loss when ground at a steeper angle.I only grind enough to get a sharp edge. I also try to grind the same amount of strokes on each blade to keep the balance.The lifts wear out on my blades befor the cutting edge.

Gene

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've checked a new blade angle (on my peticular blade) and it's 35 deg. (I'm sure this varies between different manufactures.) I set my jig at this deg. and it matches the factory angle almost perfectly. This may not be the best way but for now it works for me.