1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade broke in half

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I was running doubles on my 52 Tiger, and while mowing I heard a huge bang, and some load rattleing, then the deck belt shot out the front. It seems the bottom blade, a high lift was broken in half, and ejected though the shoot, destroying one highlift in the middle as it exited. Put a gash in the deck, but thankfully killed no one. It happened in an addition with a area yard sale, with lots of people. Never found anything that I hit, the yard is a beautiful, flat, well kept yard, and the owner knew of nothing in the area that might have broke a blade. Be careful, maybe these blades are metal plated plastic!:p Anyone ever have this happen to them?

2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Consider yourself lucky. I think that it would have scared the crap out of me. Never had it happen. I think I would to have to stop mowing and think about what just happpened.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

You didn't by any chance weld the blades together did you?
    I'm very glad no one was hurt.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

That would have been about the time I would have to excuse myself to go to the bathroom. Wow, glad to hear no one was hurt!
  6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen it happen is like what Homer said when I guy welded them in a cross shape so they would stay together .???

Sounds like a close call. Glad no one was hurt.
  7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Nope, did not weld them together! Sheared off pretty clean, and broke how I would have expected had they been welded together. Maybe I torqued the bolt down to hard. I dunno, but I am very thankful, I hope no body else gets to have the experience.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive hitum so hard they came out looking like a horse shoe
    and never broke one in 25 yrs. sounds like the blade may have been brittle. later now
  9. Bet that scared you to death! thank god no one hurt!
    take care jay
  10. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a bad blade. I've never seen or heard of a blade actually breaking. Only bending. They have engineering standards on that as far as how much a blade has to bend and resist breaking. Is there anyway you could post a picture of your setup and one of the broken blade. Maybe that would shed some light on the problem.