1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade changing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chadwhick, Jun 14, 2006.

1. chadwhick

chadwhick LawnSite Member

I have a 48" grasshopper and right now just leave it on my trailer and use a ratchet to change blades. What do you all do?
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I lift the front end up w/ a enging hoist & use my Husky air impact to take the bolts off.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Usually I lift my 48" Toro with one hand and slip a jackstand under the front with the other.

And yes, unless I have some reason why it needs to come off the trailer, it stays on the trailer, I find it's much more convenient.

For a long time I did it with a ratchet and a monkey wrench but I did get tired of doing it that way and got an air compressor with hoses and tools and stuff, it's a bit quicker and nicer but all in all, same thing. Unfortunately the air compressor involves a learning curve, had I been more patient and did my research, I could've saved myself 2-3 hundred dollars by purchasing the right 'kits' but one learns with time, so that is how it is.

With the airtools, it's nice because I only need one tool, the gun loosens the top nut without a need for a wrench underneath. Also, if I'm careful and loosen the nut while the mower still sits flat, most of the time I can leave the cover on (unless a bolt or washer drops in there). Once the blades have dropped, there are times I simply prop the deck on my knee but it has to go quick because it's not that comfortable.

Another trick is, when a bolt or washer does fall up under the cover, is to lift the mower hard so that it 'jackknifes' against the velke which causes a sudden stop - About half the time, the bolt or washer then falls out (but not always lol).
  4. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

i got an electric impact at the Harbor Freight store for around 40 bucks and it works great. No air compressor or hoses, I just drive my ztr up on car ramps and plug it in and it zips them right off.
  5. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I do believe Harbor Freight has a web site too.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Use my air impact with the mower up on the ramps.
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Jack the front up then use my electric impact. I can take the blades off, sharpen and reinstall them in less than 5 minutes per mower.
  8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Hmmm....less than 5 minutes per mower? You mean per blade right? Thought so.

I use a my ramp to get under it and a 15/16 inch wrench. If they don't come off, I use my Dewalt impact tool.:weightlifter:
  9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Nope per mower. Slide jack under front of deck. Jack all the way up. Zip the blades off. Walk 2 feet to bench with grinder on it. Sharpen all 3 blades and reverse the process. Its a very simple process.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh no, maybe on a z it takes all of 5 minutes but on a Wb, if it takes 2 minutes to change all 3 with an air impact, so long you have the sharp ones handy.
    The tool is always there, the hose is already connected and charged up.
    The jackstand stays on the trailer, it comes in handy in the field at odd times.
    So, prrrap - prrraaap- praaaap, make sure to grab the nut + washer so they don't fall under the cover.
    Then, lift the deck with one hand and slip the jackstand under it with the other and all 3 blades are right there. Grab each bolt and slip the old off / new on, slide the bolt through the spindle and hand tighten the nut a few twists, repeat twice more.
    prrrapppp - prrrraaaapp - prrrraaaappp ....
    Grab front of deck, pull jackstand to side, lower deck.
    I am done!

We're talking Nascar-style blade changes here, some of these guys got the 1-pump hydrolifters as well.
    Remember, with impacts you don't need to hold the other end, just pop the bolt OR the nut (I do the nut while the mower sits flat so the washer + nut stay on top of the spindle when the blade drops).