Blade choice for a LawnBoy Commercial/duraforce

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bwalker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. bwalker

bwalker LawnSite Member
    from MI

I want to buy two blades. One that will side discharge like no other and one that will mulch like no other.
    I am currently using a Oregon 92-011. The blade mulches like crap and side discharges so weakly its pathetic.
    Blade brand, type and part number would be gladly appreciated.

2. bwalker

bwalker LawnSite Member
    from MI

bump up to the top

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have used staggered wheel LB mowers for many years, including my current DuraForce model. Despite a horrible history of engine problems, it remains my primary hand mower, and gets run hard every day.

I have never used anything except the standard OEM blade, and a Gator-type blade. The machine is used nearly full time for bagging, with limited use on discharge mode. It is never used for mulching because of the lousy job. But, none of the rest of my mowers are used for mulching either, so not using the LB for mulching is just how the tasks are done on my watch.

The Gator-type blade is rarely used, and then only in the Fall for leaf work. The past couple of years, I have used my Toro Proline as the hand mower for mulching leaves, continuing to use the LB for bagging. Even though the Gator-type blade is in my mix of blades, it is not used effectively.

The LB with the OEM blade works well enough for discharge for us. If there is much growth, the clippings are bagged anyway. So, if the mower is used for discharge, the clipping burden is light, and the clippings pass out the chute pretty well, and are spread evenly.

I have not seen any alternative blades for this mower, other than the Gator-type I mentioned. I have long wished I could find one with a little more lift, for better bagging function. The engine has enough power to support a blade with more lift. The only bagger used on this mower is the side bagger. I have a rear bagger, but it is never used, only the side one.

4. bwalker

bwalker LawnSite Member
    from MI

Sounds like I am going to have bend my oem style blade to gain more lift.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Let us know if you are successful in bending a blade, and how you did the task.

6. bwalker

bwalker LawnSite Member
    from MI

Bench vise, a little muscle and blow torch..
    I wills ee how my mod blade cuts on Monday.

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

just use a gator blade-its the best blade for a lawnboy-better than the stock blade

8. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Same - I had a back up Lawn Boy that was staggered wheeled. I discharged with it and gator blades worked really well for me.