Blade Choices for 60" Lazer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Jul 17, 2001.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a picture of the blades that I have tried for my 60" Lazer. They are numbered in order of their cut quality with 1] being the best.

1] Modified cutting edge OEM #613250 solid foil high lift. (very sharp)

2] Same as above but with "as purchased" cutting edge (pretty dull)

3] Modified cutting edge OEM #633483 notched foil high lift. (very sharp)

4] Same as above but with "as purchased" cutting edge. (pretty dull)

5] Aftermarket mail order (dont remember where) notched foil (notice smaller width lift foil)

6] Gator type with outside flow shredding tips.

7] Regular Gator that has inside flow shredding tips.

8] OEM # 613112 factory mulching blade.

I use 6,7,and 8 combined in various ways in the fall for leaf mulching.

blade choices.jpg
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

That's good info dixie1 ! I am going to order the solid foil lift tomorrow. I have tried gator high's and regular gators, OEM high's and low's. Combinations of all for doubles, but just haven't found something I really like. I know I may be a little more critical than some because I see what others around me are getting away with and somedays think I am being too fussy with my cuts. Thanks for the info.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Gives a better view of the lift wings.

4. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

What did you use to sharpen them with
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Brandlein Machine Co. Fireball 300C. Its a 1hp High Speed Continous Duty Motor with a 10" stone. Real nice machine, you CAN NOT bog it with a blade (or anything). Once I get them "modified" they are real easy to maintain. Just takes a little time to "modify" to the longer edge.
  6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for sharing Dixie. I've had my 60" Lazer going on 2 months now... It came with the U notch high lifts and switched to the solids. The solids are a little better...

I'm curious as to why you would need that much of the blade sharp on the #1? From what I've noticed... only the first couple of inches do the cutting.

Have you tried Magnums?
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I run a 1 and a 6 in heavy spring growth

a 1 and a 5 in wet grass

a 5 and a 6 in dryer normal cutting

a 6 and a 7 in the fall in leaves

I also have some # 8 blades I run with a 5 at times.

Where do you find # 6 blades at? I can only find them at a DC dealer.

Would you mind if I post this picture on my website if I give you credit for it? I think this would help out new guys a lot. Nice blade collection. I even have some more odd ball blades I can add to this. :)
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

No, I haven't tried Magnums. Still don't think they will make me happy, but the next time I need gators, I'll try them. As for the longer edge, it definately improves (lessens) high speed stringers. The whole edge will cut if it is sharpened especially if you are flying. Have you asked your blades what portion actually cuts? Ha Ha :confused: Plus, in theory, the sharpened edge makes the blade more aerodynamic, sort of slicing through the air and draining less HP. Thats my theory, and I'm sticking to it! HEE HEE :)
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

No credit needed! Go ahead. On second thought, I could use a free line of credit! :cool: Only the people paying attention will notice that they came off of a Lazer and not a Chopper. The spindle marks are a smaller diameter than on a Chopper.

#6 was I believe, from Mow More, dont hold me to it though.
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

lately ive been running # 1 with a mulcher on top.
    my #1 is lighter though to take some drag off the clutch.
    i get them at lowes . excellent cutter but not much lift ,hence the mulcher.