Blade Clarification/Recommendation

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Mindless, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Specifically for the FasTrak, I've seen on this forum folks using various types of blades. Hi-lift, Medium-lift, Low-lift, and Gator. What are the differences for each of these blades? Are there any other blades?

Also, what is best blade setup for my application...Northern, VA...Tall Fesue...cut to 3 1/2" length? Currently, the blades that came with FasTrak when new (2 weeks ago) and mulch kit baffles and block off plate installed yield noticeable grass clippings. I'd rather not use a bagging system.

Thank you.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Gator blades should take care of your situation.
    Mulching at a higher height / not taking off as much / cutting more often, may also help the cut.

Pj

3. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

I am not sure if the sale told you when you purchased the Fastrac that when mulching thatthe 1/3 rule applies. That not with this machine but all unit out there. All brand Machine can only mulch so much at a time and look good. So if the grass is 6" tallyou should only cut 2" off at a time to do a good job. Some times in the spring with the grass moisture is so high even that it is strong. So mulching really means mowing a lot more often not like normal side discharge mowing.Changing blades to gators will help but mowing more than the 1/3 rule will almost always create clippings. The fact of life of mulching-it is not for everyone!!

4. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Thank you for taking the time and explaining the 1/3 rule. It makes perfect sense. I do find myself cutting the lawn more frequently (every 3-4 days) with all the rain Northern Va is receiving. Before FasTrak I'd cut the lawn every 6-8 days. At that interval, the grass was getting way too long. Now that the FasTrak is here, it really cuts my mowing time down (no pun intended). I look forward to cutting the lawn because the FasTrak makes easy work of it.