1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Blade Cleaning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Hello, I am about to begin the daunting task of blade cleaning.

I use a wire wheel on a bench grinder on the blades once @ beginning of season & then they are maintained w/ a wire brush prior to sharpening & balancing. Allot of the caked on grass is too time consuming to remove throughout the season.

I was considering dumping the blades in a vat w/some kind of solvent, perhaps paint thinner, for a few days & then pressure washing them instead of using the bench grinder w/wire brush.

Has anyone done this & if so can you recommend a solvent that would be suitable for removing organic matter from steel.

blades2.jpg

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

a handheld 4.5" angle grinder with a wire wheel will be much faster. i don't know about solvents though.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Just set them in a tank of water overnite, and the grass is gone, or at least it is mush which can just be wiped off. Solvents do no good. Thanks, brad

4. Ok ,here's a dumb question, why do you clean the blades?

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I'm not sure water will take off the caked stuff like a wire wheel but we shall see!

BS Dealy, I find a Bench w/wire brush faster than a hand held for the big cleaning I do @ start of season.

anyone have the 2.5k Mag blade cleaner

http://www.magna-matic.com/cleaner/mag12000/index.html

6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I want to ask the same question...The first time the blades are engaged, they clean themselves.

Doesn't matter how dirty or rusty they get, as long as they are sharp, an you are cutting with them, cleaning them is a waste of time....IMO

7. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

I have an 8" bench grinder with a grinding pad and wire brush. I wire brush the blade down, then I use the bench grinder to take all the nicks out of em. I do a fine sharpending with a bench clamp, file, and some muscle. I then soak them in WD-40 and let them sit overnight. Looks as good as new.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Brad is correct. This is what i do, i take them off and put them in water and they wont rust and the grass comes off. I would put them in over night.

Oh fareway you should try RAPTERS.
    John

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

What grass??? How much grass is a blade turning 3200 rpm's gonna pick up?? You might get a blade stained, but thats about all. As far as rust, who cares......When you cut the first yard, the rust is gone....You guys cant be serious.........

10. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

There is still the unawnsered question... why clean blades?