1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Blade clutch.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowin4dodge, May 8, 2013.

1. mowin4dodge

mowin4dodge LawnSite Member

The clutch will engage some times then other times it just sounds like it wants to. I got off mower with PTO switch on and walked to the back once and was going to jiggle the wire but before I could it came on but I noticed sparks coming from clutch as it engaged. Is it about to go or is it just in the circuit? :dizzy:

2. mowin4dodge

Its on a Grasshopper 722d2.

3. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

It is wore out time to replace

4. mowin4dodge

thanks. Do they come off easy after you un bolt them or am I gona need a puller?

5. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the clutch air gap.

6. mowin4dodge

How do I do that? Blade Runners.

7. rocklandls

rocklandls LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem with my scag W/B. I checked the gab, replaced the switch. It ended up being a plastic connector wore out and was grounding out against the frame of the mower. Check all the connections

8. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Check voltage to the clutch before replacing. If you do end up having to replace the clutch, there a trick to removing them using an air hammer. Back the bolt part way out, and use the air hammer on the bolt while you assist it with your other hand. I've had 0 luck using a 2 or 3 jaw puller. Just pulled the clutch apart in pieces.
    Posted via Mobile Device