1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

blade combination

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by locutus, Sep 7, 2003.

1. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

i have an accelerator xl grass catcher that i use occasionally to get up leaves. i have read on this forum that it is a good idea to run a highlift on the dischage side of my mower. my queston is what kind of blade should i run on the other side?also wouldnt a gator blade on the discharge side reduce the volumn of leaves considerably? thanks for the help.
  2. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

First.. Welcome to Lawnsite!

2nd..... What kind of mower are you running? How many HP?
    Deck size?

I run a Super High Lift on the discharge side of my Scag WB, it scatters the clippings more, and creates a lot of lift under the deck. I do not have any experience bagging with this machine, however.

Are you only bagging for leaves? or grass also?
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

This last week I used doubles (all Gator high lifts) since it rained so much, and the grass was growing out of control. Yesterday I ran across a lawn with a lot of leaves and couldn't wait to see what the doubles would do. I was very pleased with the results. Went over it twice, but couldn't find a trace of leaves on the lawn after I was done. If you're going to bag the leaves; try using the Gator high lifts on both sides (and in middle if larger than a 36" mower) to reduce the leaves, then go over it a second time to bag it. Shouldn't have any problem reducing it down to a 10:1.
  4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

TRY the MEG MO blades and you wont need to do any bagging. Keeps deck cleaner and everything is cutt up alot finder.
  5. locutus

from NC

thanks guys, navig8r i have a 36 inch exmark metro hp with a 15 horsepower kawasaki on it.any further input is greatly appreciated.
  6. locutus

from NC

come on guys,76 views and only four responces. surely some of you are running differently blade setups for leaf collection. thanks
  7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Have never heard of, nor would consider running different blade types opposite each other.
  8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I use doubles, but if I ran singles, I would definitly go with nothing less than all high lifts on all three spindles.
  9. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Running a super hi-lift on the discharge only was actually a suggestion of my dealer. On the old style Scag deck it works fantastic compared to just running 3 regular hi-lifts. I've tried running 3 supers, but the large foil creates too much turbulence under the deck to get a nice cut, and it loads the engine down quite a bit. 3 regular hi-lifts, and the clippings just dont scatter the way you'd like....... swap in that one super high lift, and the clippings fly!

Attached Files: