Blade combo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What have you guys found to be the best combination of blades for a double blade setup for a riding ZTR??? Gators up top and hi-lifts down below??? Or if not, then what?
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I just put gator blades on my z master today! I put on a set of hight lifts on the bottom and low lifts on the top because that is what I had. There is no grass to be cut because its winter but i was just driving it around my driveway with the blades ingaged. Holly sh**! I couldnt beleave the added suction and wind coming out the discharge! The mower was actaully picking up stones! I just rode it over the grass breifly and it was launchiing leafs like 20ft! I cant wait to try it out in the spring when the grass is growing 6 inches a week!
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on what you're cutting, really. I run solid foil highlifts underneath bi-level standard lift mulching blades for grass cutting. This is on a Lazer EPS and a Gravely Promaster.
  4. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i put mine on last fall what i used was gators on top and high lifts on bottom man it made those leaves disapeir and it cut wet grass with out stopping to unclog or scrape deck
    thanks again eric elm.
  5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Vibe Ray,
    You asked specifically about th ZTR.
    I'm wondering if and why this would be different than with a wb.
  6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose it would be the same, but I just asked about a blade combo for a ZTR cuz I am getting one in a few weeks....How come research labs haven't done a research on this and found which works best???
  7. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

can i put double blades,or has anyone ever tried on a wb 12.5hp or 14hp kaw.with belts.probably not enough power right!
  8. pace lawn care

pace lawn care LawnSite Member

I run the cheapest and the lightest blade (5 dollar high lift), I can find on top. It only cut's the clippings finer as u know. Being light as you can helps on the clutch and belts I think.
  9. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

are you guys just double stacking the blades or are you using some sort of spacer?