blade configuration is killing me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contra, May 3, 2003.

1. contra

contra LawnSite Member

ok alot of this is going to sound really amateur-ish, but i just got a lesco 36" belt, which is my first walk behind. I started out discharging and there was too much clippings, so i raised the deflector sheild and it looked a little better. Still not good enogh though, so i asked the guy at lesco what I should do. He sold me gator blades, which are working a bit better, but ther still are too many clippings! I asked him if i can put 2 blades on at once to chop the up more, he said hat i shouldnt do that. Im wondering about mulching even though the guy has told me that it's really a bad idea to mulch in the spring. im really confused and even more annoyed that my huge investment isnt working. please help!

thanks

2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

First off you need to take off the deflector and hang it on the wall, second get rid of the gators until the grass thins out, third run doubles blades per spindle (standard blades or standard blades with a high lift blade on top, fourth don't even try mulching if you are clumping when you side discharge.

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

figure out what height you are cutting and then we can go from there.

4. contra

contra LawnSite Member

theres no clumping, it just seems like theres too much clippings. ok how many spacers do i put between the 2 blades. theres 4 right now on top of my blades. 2 between each one? that would make sense but just wanna confirm. thanks man

5. contra

contra LawnSite Member

its actually a little higher than i would like to be cutting. i think 3 and 1/4" oh yeah my clients usually only want me to come once a week, so im usually taking alot more off than i probably should. but my 21 inchers handled it for 6 years, i finally upgrade and it barely getss the job done. argghhh. i really appriciate the help, though

6. You're going to leave small clumps no matter what on that mower.

They get cought on the upper corner of the discharge chute, then drop as you go.

Standard high lifts do well on that mower with 4 spacers under the spindle and 1 spacer on top.

Next put 3 castor spacers under the front castor wheels, that will put you close to 3.5", then you should be doing well.

I second the diflector hanging on the wall, none of mine have ever seen grass. Heck I don't know where they are anymore.

Your too much clippings is the way the lawn is fed. How much grass are you cutting off?

I can do a single pass with my 36" in 6-7" tall grass down to 3.5" with no clumps or visable clippings.

7. Not really, put 4 spacers on the blade bolt under the washer, then put in spindle, now put the 5th spacer on then the nut.

Now control your cut height with the fron castor spacers.

Use or 3 below, I reccomend 3 below at first. This will put you close to 3.5", with 2 below and 2 above, that is right on for 3".

8. contra

contra LawnSite Member

k thanks, looks like i definitely need high lifts. no biggie though, im gonna need the gators this summer. oh yeah, what do i do about trails being left in the middle. (this happens on random occasions) thanks godfather

9. contra

contra LawnSite Member

thats exacttly what it is now except i have only gators on them. so you dont think double blades is a good idea?

10. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If you are asking about doubles, you don't put any washers between the blades, you put one blade on top of the other in a X pattern.