blade cut height not high enough

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 00pewter, Jun 1, 2008.

1. 00pewter

00pewter LawnSite Member

as some of you know, i just picked up my new z445 from JD. after cutting a couple yards, i've noticed that i need to cut the yards higher that what the deck will let me. is there anything that i can do about this? any and all ideas are greatly appreciated... thanks.

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't get any replies offering a fix -- talk to your dealer.

Nosmo

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Put a lift kit and Super Swampers on it. :laugh:

4. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

pretty much what I was thinking... Fab some spacers and make a drop down rear sub-frame for the wheel motors, same idea for the front, a dropped sub-frame... :confused:

I'm still trying to figure out why 4.25" is too short?

5. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Use a trimmer U can cut as high as U can reach!

6. 00pewter

00pewter LawnSite Member

i really don't think that i'm getting 4.25 out of this thing. i'll need to post some pics of some yards so you can see....

7. trinity1

trinity1 LawnSite Member

Take the blades off and just run the mower over the grass to leave track marks. Then whip it edge it and blow it off sooner or later it will grow to the height you want

8. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member

Does the deck lever pull all the way up to the 4" mark? Do you know the little pin pulls out so you can rest the handle at the elevation you want? Maybe you are pulling the handle up against the little pin stopping it at say 2" ?? Good luck. doug

9. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running a Toro Z320, which is basically a Walker knock-off. In order to get the deck up to 3.5", we cut up Rebar and welded it into the adjustment recesses. It also involved cutting out some material from the deck itself. Just recently I bought the tallest caster wheel/tire setup that would fit, also. Now I adjust my height using tire pressure.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Most mowers will cut to at least 4" - why would you need to cut something higher than that? Brush hoggin?