Blade Disengaging

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by rdsellen, Sep 22, 2007.

1. rdsellen

rdsellen LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I have a Lazer CT which has begun disengaging the blade by itself while mowing. The mower has 150 hours -- from two years of residential use. It always reengages without a problem. Can the yellow switch go bad? While the switch is in the up or engaged position, it does not offer much physical resistance to being pushed into the disengaged position.

I would appreciate any advice on identifying root cause and the fix.

Russell D. Sellen

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

rdsellen,

When you go to engage the blades after the unit has disengaged w/o cause, what position is the switch in?? Is it still pullled out?

Casey

3. rdsellen

rdsellen LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Dear Casey:

The switch drops down to the disengaged position. Some more data. I looked at the connector between the PTO and the wiring harness -- it was a bit loose. I tightened it by pushing it together and pressing the wiring harness wires into the connector carefully with needle nose pliers. Upon restart and re-engagement of the blade, the switch now requires a lot more force to disengage. I tried to get the connector apart to clean the contacts but I could not figure out how to get it apart.

Russell D. Sellen

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like the ,mechanical portion of the switch is bad if the switch is physically moving itself to the off position.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I think Mike is dead on. I've seen/heard this probably a dozen times or so where the 'tangs' (best description I have) break and then there's nothing holding the pull in the desired location.

From your latest explanation though, it almost sounds as though the switch is coming apart, and by re-securing the harness, you've also pushed the switch together.

Either way, I recommend having a new switch at the ready. If your luck is anything like mine, it'll fail for good about the time you absolutely have to have it, and there's no dealer open.

Let us know if you need anything.

Thanks,
    Lenny

6. rdsellen

rdsellen LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Thanks for the input -- the new switch came in last week and issue has been solved.