Blade disks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Glenn J, May 30, 2005.

1. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

I bought this mower a few months back and it had these disks installed under the mulching blades. Any idea what they're for? I've sharped the blades a few times and left them on.

Here are a few pics of them:

BladeDisks1.jpg

2. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That looks like something to cut string, twine or whatever gets wrapped around your spindle to me.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What brand of mower is that? I'd say, by looking at how clean the underside of your deck is on that mulching mower, that they are doing whatever it is they are supposed to do well. They are slightly similar to the 'mulch fan' that was on the duraforce lawnboy mowers in the late '90's. I'm sure the angled notched portion has been designed to create downward air movement to help drive the mulched clippings into the turf.

5. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna take a stab that the mower is an old JD or Bunton mower. Any how I believe that disks are to help create a vacuum to help stand the grass up before its cuts.

6. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Bingo! It's an older Bunton. I should have specified that in the post.

The reason the deck is so clean is because I just finished scraping it off. Even after a few mows, there was a lot of stuff under there!

So should I keep these things on? They're really light, so I don't think they're creating much drag on the system at all.

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I think we have a winner.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, the blade is supposed to go BELOW the disk. I had two of those mowers...brand new.

9. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Id leave them on. You can always take them off and try the mower with out them and see how it goes. Like I said I think they help create extra vacuum to stand the grass up before its cut.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Clean???

Anyways.....Those L baffles are real odd. Is this a mulch only machine? If you do any side discharging, removing those L baffles will improve your discharge tremendously.

I agree, the discs should go above the blade. Though I doubt they do much. They may keep grass suspended above the blade though.