1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Edgers Or Trimmers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by apalachee, Apr 11, 2003.

1. apalachee

apalachee LawnSite Member

Do you guys use string trimmers to edge your lawns? Do any of you use blade edgers(ie: Stihl, stick edger)????
  2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I'm thinking about getting a stick edger, but I do have a walk-behind model. My jobs only require edging maybe, 4 times a year, so my w/b model is doing the job for know.
  3. apalachee

apalachee LawnSite Member

I was just wondering, I have a stick edger and love it, but I see alot of guys using trimmers to do all of their edging. I need to find a quality trimmer for knocking down weeds on hills, and next to houses.
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Walk beind blade edger for overgrown edges but EDGIT on a straight shaft trimmer for everyhting else. Go to ww.edgit.com
  5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just turn my straight shaft upside down and walk at a moderate speed. It will be a lot less expensive and it looks just as good when u get the hang of it.
  6. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Stihl FC55 edger that does an incredible job. It is powerful and cuts a super nice edge, lightning fast where there isn't heavy growth. Where the growth is heavy, it might take a couple of passes. Try this unit once and you'll be hooked, although you will have to spend a little on it - probably $200 or so.
  7. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

A stick edger is nice to have, especially while learning, but with enough proficiency with a trimmer, you'll rarely use a stick edger. They'll mainly come in where an edge hasn't been established. Good luck.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I bought my walk behind edger and all it does is collect dust...I still feel to this day that a line trimmer can do must, not all, of your edging. The heavier areas where the sod has grown over, then yes the edger, but other than that no.