Blade engagement on Scags

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BufalinoLand, Apr 26, 2001.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

How high of throttle is it a good idea to engage blades, i did it at full, now that i just read the manual, it said half or 3/4. what damage may i have done?

2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at a eXmark maintenance class this year. The tech. was asked about clutch engagement. He said let the mower warm up a bit, learn at what R.P.M. you need to run to engage w/o stalling the motor. And always slow down the R.P.M.'s befor disengagement.

3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah the reason for this is the clutch also acts as a brake so when you slow the blades down and then disengage them its easier for the brake to stop the motion.....not much momentum.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have a hard time getting my help to properly engage pto's of all types.I am amazed that these clutches last as long as they do,taking an engine at 3700 RPm,s-and 20 lbs+ worth of blades,spindles,belts at zero RPM,then instanly engage them-ouch.I would engage it at as low an rpm as possible without stalling.My help must make Gates proud,since they snap belts all the time-and cant figure out why?I can hear the belt chirp from the 3 rd holes as the engage the deck on the steiner at max rpm's.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a Exmark or Toro Z-Master its hard to engage the blades at a real low throttle, mine always throws off my mule belt to the blades so i know exactly where to engage at now around half throttle. Belt is adjusted just fine. Anyone else have this problem? Marks Mowing Service

6. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

3/4 throttle sounds right, maybe a little less. The colder the weather the more throttle, but rarely more than 3/4. I'm using my 2000 TurfTiger 61 advantage with the Kholer Command 25 hp motor as an example. I have a 1999 Scag 52 inch with a 17hp Kawasaki and can engage the blades at less than 1/2 throttle even in colder weather. Sorry so late to respond, it's the only chance I've had this week to catch up on LawnSite.com
    Bill

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This is what is nice about hand clutches, you can engage them at an idle, even with double blades. :)

I even used to engage my JD 430 at an idle with an electric clutch, but the diesel has enough torque at an idle to do this.

8. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

My 52" Lazer with 18 hp will stall at less than 3/4 throttle when engaging doubles. Really hate engaging it at high speed, but with doubles and lower horsepower I guess I have to live with it.