Blade Engaging problem...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by climber, Jun 2, 2007.

1. climber

climber LawnSite Member

I have recently got an older snapper 36" with a 12hp kaw. And when I was cutting today I had put it in neutral to back away from a wall and the blades just shut off and the motor kept going. I thought I bumped the engage switch but that wasnt it. So I shut the mower off and started it back up and flipped the engage switch and then nothing. I checked the belts and there ok and I looked at the wiring as best I could. Could it be the clutch?

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

That thing actually has an electric clutch? Guess I'm more familliar with the exmarks, their small mowers don't have electric PTOs.

Check your wiring again. Perhaps there is a fuse somewhere? Maybe the switch itself went bad... I'd think if the clutch itself went out, you wouldn't lose the blade drive that fast, it would be gradual. I dunno though.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Probably a bad switch, but check your fuse, first. This of course is the most likely culprit.
  4. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Thanks guys... I dont know what it was and there is fuse and its fine. But my brother took it out today and said it worked fine so Im guessing maybe a loose connection.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Could just be some loose linkage there...I have this problem with my Exmark Viking and just have to tighten up some stuff.