Blade Grinder Wheel Replacement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Oct 24, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Magna-Matic 9000 and it's getting real close to replacing the grinding wheel soon. I've checked Northern Tool and the local huge Farm Supply store but nobody carries a 7" wheel, much less the exact one I need. Anyone else had any luck on this?

Also, I remember someone talking about using a different grit wheel on a blade sharpener for better performance. Any comments on that as well would be appreciated.:)

2. Bear's Total Works

Bear's Total Works LawnSite Member

just swop to a 4" grinder there easyier to sharpen blades with

3. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

This guy never used the magna matic....... I have the 9000 also. Call magna matic or go to thier website.

4. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I think they designed the magn-matic to use proprietary discs, and I think they also claim to have the proper grit you need for the best job possible with their grinders. Looks like you'll have to order one from magn-matic. How long would you say that disc lasted you? How often did you sharpen with it?

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Get the right one from Magna-Matic.Cheap wheels burn and build heat. Do some checking on the norton abrasives site. Its good info.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Contact Grainger. They have a website.

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Do a search for the thread under blade ginders. This link might help with the wheel

http://www.pacificgrindingwheel.com/

ericg likes this.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

it's a no-brainer, just contact Magna Matic

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I went to Grainger's site but found nothing. I was hoping to find an equivalent or better for a better price; especially if I could buy a case or so.

I did go ahead and order from Magna-Matic. Then they sent me an email stating the order won't go out until next week. It seems everyone at the Magna-Matic plant is in Louisville right now.:mad:

10. MOWPART_SCOTT

MOWPART_SCOTT LawnSite Member

Looks like Stens makes a 7x1 5/8 hole red ruby grinding stone. Im not sure at all about the magna-matic but I would think if the specs match up? Would the wheel still work? Stens has Fine (blk),Med.(Red),Course(Red). All in the 7x1 5/8bore. I'm not Sure if this will help you or not? If so, I can help you more if needed.