Blade grinder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DMC300, Feb 16, 2001.

1. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

It,s about time to buy an RBG dedicated sharpener.
    Has anyone seen a deal on one lately??
    thanks in advance.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The best I found last year when I bought mine was AM Leonards and it was $404.00, but it went up to $419.00 this year, but there is no shipping or tax, so that helps. This is for the PRO model, not the cheaper one.

3. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

ERIC,I found the NEARY 1/2 h.p.at L.scapers supply for $330.00.Is this machine even close to the one you mentioned?

4. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Try Lesco. That is where I got mine a couple of years ago. They are great.

5. Eric ELM

DMC300:
    I'm not familiar with that one, but here is the one I use so you can compare them. https://www.amleo.com/help-desk/item.php?bg218

CCLC:
    The one at Lesco is $325 and not nearly as good as the RBG grinder. As I said in other posts, my Lesco dealer won't even use the one they sell for sharpening blades, they use a RBG grinder. :)

6. CCLC

ERIC ELM

What is the difference between the Lesco and the RGB grinder. My Lesco and the one on your link look the same. I'm just curious.

CCLC

7. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I just received my RBG2181P from AMLeonard. It was 419.34 BUT if you order before 2/28/01 you get 5% off, which I did. No shipping charge. That was on the cover of the latest catalog I received so if you don't have it, I'd just ask for the discount.

I have a lot of experience sharpening woodworking chisels, plane irons, etc. and I did not buy the Diamond Tip dresser for 78.99. You DO need a wheel dresser and you should never use the standard star wheel type as it can chip the wheel. I use a piece of broken concrete cutting saw blade. It is one segment of the blade, about 1 1/2" wide by 4" long. You just hold onto the long part while running the shorter diamond-embedded blade part against the wheel. I just laid a piece of 3/4" square pine perpendicular to the wheel to support the dresser and hold it off the table. This takes the glaze off the wheel and squares it up.

If you can't find a broken blade [ask at a rental shop or if you know a concrete cutter] you can buy a diamond wheel dresser from Craft Supplies USA Woodturners catalog for 34.95. It's on page 101 of the 1999/2000 catalog at 800.551.8876.
    http://www.craftusa.com

I'm really liking the RBG thanks to Eric, Dixie and others advice I've received--look for my other posts around here on this. Good luck, Will

8. Eric ELM

CCLC:
    The one my Lesco dealer sells looks like a fancy bench grinder that has a small adjustable bracket you put the blade on that looked very cheap. The RBG has a big flat table and you adjust the whole wheel up and down for the right blade angle.

Maybe your Lesco is selling a better model. When I first read about the RBG, I figured the one at Lesco was the same too, until I went and really looked at it. Then I looked at a RBG that they actually use to sharpen blades and could see a big differance. If Lesco won't use it, why do they even try to sell one. The kicker is, theirs is almost as much as a RBG and about all it is, is a fancy bench grinder.

9. CCLC

ERIC ELM

I have seen the grinder that you are talking about. That is not the one that I have. I guess thinking back I must have purchased mine 4 or 5 years ago. When I'm at the garage I'll take a digital photo and post it.

10. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I love my rbg. No more cut finger with the file and vice. It's worth its weight in gold.