Blade grinder ??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Aug 24, 2007.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ive studied out blade grinder threads and I know some folks just want to use an angle grinder. I dont. I dont know what to go with , soft stone, hard stone? Oregon doesnt look good because I need to sharpen 9 inches and they are good for maybe 7. I like the looks of the fireball. What do you think?

2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

you can use the small grinders and run the blades through at an angle. I used to run 72 in blades through a grinder designed for 36 and 48 in blades. actually got to where i prefered that to straight through. you have more control over it. i believ the stone we used was hard and it always did a good job, especially on stuff that was really dull or nicked up. Just make sure to go slow and not turn the blade blue from heat. This makes them not hold an edge as well. any other questions just ask me, i have sharpened a lot of mower blades.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I just recently received my Magna-Matic 9000. I must admit, that much money for a blade grinder and balancer was a bit troubling.

That being said, now that I have gotten the hang of using this machine, I can sharpen blades better than I thought possible of any grinder. They are sharper, smoother, and more balanced than when new. No kidding.:)

4. delphied

So you can use a small Oregon or RBG but lay the blade flat on the table and use the edge of the grinding wheel instead of the flat face?

5. delphied

Thats a good grinder. What made you decide on the Magna-matic?

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I work in a shop and get 24 to 90 + blades a day, I use a simple 8 inch grinder with a 24 grit stone, it cuts more metal faster and is cheaper then the ruby stones. I've been doing it this way for 30 plus years and it gives me more control over the blades when some one wants a steeper angle.
    The 24 grit stone is a industrial stone, you won't find it at HomeDepot. It won't heat a blade up as fast as a 60 grit stone, cooler blade mean less lose of temper.

Grinder 1.jpg

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

i LOVE MY MAGNA MATIC.

8. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

less grit less heat. cool bud thanks for the info. id like to get a magnamatic but havent really looked at them much at all. i went to lowes and got a dewault 4 1/2 inch anglegrinder that came with a little case. (the one without case is 6 amps) but the one with the carrying case is 10 amps. ill look for an industrial disk for it and get that sucker. im happy with the grinder though. plenty of power light and easy to control.

9. delphied

good info. TY

10. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Magnamatic. By best investment Ever.