Blade grinder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drivefaster35, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've been looking at some of these blade grinders online and got a thing in the mail from Magna-matic. I was wondering what's the differnce and benefits versus a steady hand and a regular $75 bench grinder? I am always big on really sharp blades and would like to do anything to improve the sharpness of my blades and to help the tip last longer but $600? Kinda a lot of money however, I do sharpen a lot of blades on a weekly basis. Any input or advice?
  2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I have heard that bench grinders are bad for sharpening your blades, because of their high rpm's.
  3. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i use a bench grinder you just have to keep it cold.... or else u hit something ur screwed
  4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If you are doing a lot of blades they are worth it. We did it for years with an angle grinder or a bench grinder without problems. I did hate the way the tips got wore off though. The blade grinders do a great job every time and faster. I think more important is a good balancer like Magna-Matics.
  5. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

a balancer is that important why not just use a nail in a vice?
  6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

With the weight of blades, blade tip speed, spindle tolerances, for as tough as these machines are they do require well balanced blades. A nail will not do the trick, too many variables that can happen. Unbalanced blades cause premature wear to a lot of deck components, and probably other parts due to the added vibration caused. Once you have really well balanced blades the deck is much smoother with the blades engaged, meaning you are getting the full potential of your mower and much more of a pleasure to use.
  7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a large round shank screwdriver to balance the blades.

What do you think the mower shops use to sharpen blades for their customers ?
  8. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

The RBG-3410-C Commercial Blade Grinder is designed to sharpen standard blades as well as commercial blades. The 10" premium grade Ceramic Wheel and extra large frame and work table easily accommodates the extra wide bevels found on commercial blades. The 3410-C comes with a Commercial Duty 3/4 H.P. Bell-Front Motor designed exclusively for RBG Grinders.

Parts Breakdown and Description

Approximate Shipping Weight: 85 lbs
    Switch: Specially Designed Reversing Switch
    Motor: 3/4 H.P. Commercial Duty
    Motor Speed: 1725 RPM
    Standard Grinding Wheel 10" x 1" x 3/4" Ceramic Wheel
    Wheel Mounting: Direct Shaft Mounting
    Surface Feet per Minute: 4516.6
    Sharpening Depth: 9.3"
    Frame: 11 Gauge Formed Steel
    Length: 20"
    Height: 23"
    Width: 14"
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Currently I still use an angle grinder with a layered sanding wheel, 40 grit. It moves material FAST and I can sharpen a set of blades in just a few minutes. Granted It's a little rough on my hands, gripping the grinder with one and holding the blade tight to my stand I've made with the other.

I tried out a Lesco blade grinder some years ago, I beleive they were made by Neary, anyway, I thought it was worthless. Didn't have enough power at all! I could just barely put any pressure on the blade against the wheel without the motor slowing substantially. I think if I was to get one now Id definately opt for a 3/4 hp like pictured above. I also would much rather have one with a reversing motor, reguardless of what magnamatic touts is "bad" about them. I'd have the unit mounted to my work bench, and if I couldn't reverse the motor I don't know if I could do walker blades because you have to use the opposite side of their grinder to do them...

Hard to justify the price too. $500++ to sharpen blades... I can do them not for almost nothing with my angle grinder, and no, I don't round off the ends, that's just a practice makes perfect thing. And I can get them about sharp enough to shave with, lol. Yes, I put a good edge on all my blades, and no, they don't get nicked by rocks any more than if they were half dull, that's a myth. They DO cut excellent wien they are razor sharp. If I can't cut my finger with the edge by applying some force it's time to sharpen. Usually 2 to 3 times a week on the big mower.
  10. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

What's not a myth is that more angle (sharper) WILL chip/nick faster or worse, while a steeper angle ("duller") will hold it's edge longer because there's more metal behind it.