Blade Grinder ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bntt68, Dec 7, 2004.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I recieved my Oregon grinder today and have a couple of questions. I am having a hard time turning the adjustment wheel for the angle of grind. I have the two lockdown nuts loose. It is very tight. They also did not include how to set up the guards on it. Any help would be appreciated. THANX Brent

2. bntt68

ANYONE? please help

3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

dont know.....but ask travis, the redmaxman....or call the company where you got it from and ask them.

if nothing helps....just asking on here to bring this post back to the top.

4. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have one, the adjustment knob at first is stiff, just turn it down quite a few times then back the other way, it will loosen up. The guards, the little ones are mounted on both sides of the grinder shield, the T guards are mounted under each side of the table, their is a bolt underneath. Hope this helps, if not PM me.
    twwlawn

5. bntt68

Thanks for the help. I am headed to look at it now.

6. Smithers

tww

how do you like yours? what kind of blades can it sharpen? i am thinking about getting a grinder for my straight/gator blades or just getting meg-mo's all together.

also, does the oregon "hold" your blades at the correct angle, and all you have to do is put the blades, and they are sharp? or do you have to tell it the angle?

bntt,

give me an update when you start using yours.

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

what model do you have? i love my oregon grinder. time and money saver

8. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=petrentz]tww

how do you like yours? what kind of blades can it sharpen? i am thinking about getting a grinder for my straight/gator blades or just getting meg-mo's all together.

also, does the oregon "hold" your blades at the correct angle, and all you have to do is put the blades, and they are sharp? or do you have to tell it the angle?QUOTE]

I have the model 88-023. Works great, I sharpen gators and high-lifts with no problems. Curve mulching blades, I use a hand grinder on the curves and the straight edge I sharpen on the Oregon with both hands to get that bevel edge. As far as meg-mo's, I don't have them.

To get the correct angle bevel, you have to adjust the grinding wheel up or down, once that is done, lay the blade down flat on the platform level and run it back and forth. The key to all this that I have found and done is to make sure you have the grinding wheel adjusted to the proper angle. I used a new blade to give me a angle or close to what it should be. I run it through then make more adjustments as needed. Give me a yell if you need more help.
    twwlawn

9. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering what is the website for Oregon.

10. Smithers

Thanks, tww, i sure will once i buy it. i would feel really bad to spend the $600-$1000 on a magna matic grinder.

So, let me get this straight...you use a new blade to figure out the angle of the grinder that will be applied on the blade that is about to be sharpened. hmm, that's pretty smart. What do you do when the grind stone gets warn out a little? Can you bring it down, but still keep the angle? i guess what i am asking is....how do you keep the angle as you go along? i know it takes a lot of sharpening to get deplete the material.

LL, i dont think they have a website....at least, i have not been able to find one. I hope someone here can tell us.

Does anyone else know if you can sharpen Meg-mos with Oredon Grinder?