Blade Grinders - Yeah or Neh

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SLC LLC, Mar 15, 2006.

1. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering how many of you use blade grinders to sharpen blades? This is such a time-consuming process to me, and I hate it. I know that they can be quite pricey, but I almost think it is worth the money just to save the time. Does anyone have any thoughts on these? Pictures?? Suggestions???

2. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

I started using a file to sharpen my blades, now I am using a bench grinder. One day when it is required I will move to a blade sharpener. I only have to sharpen blades one a week.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just remember, it's an investment that will be with you for quite some time.

4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

WHat is a blade grinder?

I was just wondering myself if I should use a bench grinder (which I don't have) or a angle grinder. With an angle grinder do you have to take the blades off?
    I also thought you had to sharpen blades every full day.

Also, about filpping your mower upside down, is it good? or a necessary evil? I'm worried about oil leaking into where it shouldn't etc. some coming out of the air filter.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Guys....do a search. There is a good weeks worth of reading on blade sharpeners, blade grinders, dedicated blade grinders, etc.

Flipping your mower upside down is not a good idea.

6. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

i paid like 600 for mine ive sharpened i dunno 6-12 blades a day every day 30 weeks a year yeah 8 years lol yeah they are worth it

7. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

I would say that it really depends on how many lawns you're cutting. If you are doing it part-time (ie: around twenty lawns a week), hen you would be doing yourself a favor of investing $8 in a file and $15 in a good solid bench vise. If you find yourself constantly having to sharpen blades, like once a day on several machines, then I would say yes, time to invest in a sharpener so long as it fits your budget. JMHO

Tim