Blade Grinders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, Feb 23, 2000.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I know this has been brought up in a couple of threads before, but I would like to get some ideas on which blade grinders are good. I think I am ready to buy one and don't want to buy the wrong one. I don't really care to spend $600 for a big one. I only have 4 mowers, do I really need a 1 hp model or will a 1/2 be ok? Also, who has the best deals on them?<br>
  2. Sears has a good deal on 4 1/2&quot; welding <br>grinder for about $40.<p>Take the $560 you will save and buy a used<br>walk behind.
  3. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I have one of those sdears grinders and i would like to find out how am i supposed to use it by freehand or where can i buy an attatchment that would work as a guide or how can i build one?
  4. snake1040

snake1040 LawnSite Member
    from fl

I use an old RBG blade grinder I picked it up from a lawn mower shop for 75 dollars it was getting old and not able to keep up with the amount of blades they were sharping but it works fine for me and I've had it for about 5 years. I would get a blade grinder that is made for sharping blades the other grinders are hard to get the right angle on the blade. Landscaper Supply has a 1/2 horse Neary for 330 dollars, and the RBG is 420 dollars.
  5. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

We use an RBG 2181P and it's been worth every penny. We mounted ours to a tall stand that we made so we wouldn't have to bend over(easy on the back). We also use a shop vac to collect the fine dust. The grit box catches the grit but that fine dust goes everywhere with out some type of collection system (like up your nose). <br>
  6. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

bdemir, we use a mini-miller with our sears grinder, it was around 250 and does a pretty good job. there phone # is (614) 376-6300