Blade Grinders?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KS_Grasscutter, Oct 7, 2007.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

What kind of blade grinders do ya'll have? I am going to get one next season, thinking about a RBG. Used one at a friends shop yesterday, that thing sure makes short work of doing blades. Whatever I get has to be reversible for Walker blades, I am pretty sure most grinders are anyway?
  2. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i bought the Oregon model 88-023 blade ginder off of ebay a few months ago and i like it. it's not the strongest i've used but it it a lost easier than a hand grinder or regular bench grinder. i paid just over $300 after shipping. it has a light on it and a forward and reverse switch... if you're using Walkers then it's perfect for your application. blade height also adjusts too.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

just got a rbg 1214 the other day. sure makes it alot easier and faster than a bench grinder. the 1/2 hp is not bad at all
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Mine's the discontinued Oregon 1.5hp 12" wheel, they are nice but you want to watch the wheel when you sharpen... It does take some practice, what I noticed is first time around you will likely run your wheel out of round and you'll want to buy yourself one or two of those sharpening wheel balancing stones (forget what they're called exactly, inexpensive wheel trueing tool thou).

I shopped around, they're not cheap, I found mine as a returned warranty item, almost new, $300...
    I couldn't have paid the 6-700 for a new one, not so much a matter of money but it's just too much.

They really do make a nice change up from the days of using hand helds, I think it takes me all of 10-15 seconds per blade, that's with practice but even at first I was like wow this is much faster (easier too). The machine does require minor periodic adjustments and don't forget to wear eye and ear protection always.

It really is almost as easy as it looks.

5. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I got the Oregon 88-021. I really like it alot save for one thing. It requires a dedicated 30amp circuit because it draws so much power on start up. I didn't want to get one of the smaller ones, because I was afraid it would be too small for larger blades. But it seems Oregon has addressed the in-between issue from the 1 1/2 HP one I got and the smaller ones. I believe it is the 88-019. It has a 1 HP motor and doesn't require a special circuit. Quite a bit cheaper, money wise, than what I paid for mine also.
  6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I just use a bench grinder for now. I'm lookin out for a good proper machine for next year.
  7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Im gonna go with the brandlien fireball soon.
  8. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

I have a very old 1 hp, 220v bench grinder with a nice, almost infinitely adjustable work rest. The wheel is about 9 inch diameter. It is a Skilsaw brand, probably from the early 60's.

What is it about the dedicated sharpeners that makes them so much better?

Or, are you comparing them to the cheap, Chinese bench grinders?

9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I bought our RBG from Cummins Tools when we first started years ago. It is still standing strong. I need to get some new stones for it though. I haven't bought any in a while so I forget what it takes.
  10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I guess I have tried just about every method of sharpening blades over the years. Stationary belt sanders, hand held belt sanders, bench grinders and have been using a angle grinder with a flap disc which seems to do a good job.

Last month I decided to make a dedicated blade grinder and I'll hit the highlights of what I used and by the way it works real well and does not burn the blades.

Bought an 8" bench grinder , removed the guards and reversed them on either end. Only put one coarse wheel back on and it is running in reverse (throws the sparks up and towards the front). I have it mounted on a 2 x 10 and stacked onto a pair of 2 x 6 with a 3/4" piece of plywood on top.

The motor sits on top and is bolted down. The work table with a slot is a 2 x 4 with a piece of sheet metal attached to let the blade slide freely. The table is adjustable to allow for the wear of the wheel. The table is supported by two Heavy L brackets and one U bracket which can be moved up and down.

Like I say it works good and I made a blade balancer which I think is accurate. My blades have a 3/4" hole so I cut the threads off a 3/4" bolt. Cut another piece of solid bolt off about and inch long. Chucked this in the lathe and bored a hole in the center the size of a 6-penny nail.

I pushed the nail through the bolt section and drove it into a board. With it mounted plumb and that nail oiled the blade will spin like a propeller. But if the blade is just mounted at 9 and 3 o'clock if there is a heavy spot it will allow the blade to turn easily.