Blade grinders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jackman, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

What do you use to sharpen blades? I have been useing a regular 8 inch bench grinderit works well I get a nice cut but the edge always comes out a little wavey. I may buy an actual blade grinder from Landscape Supply about 300 dollars. What do you think are the bench grinders as good as the actual blade grinder? Any oppenions are appreciated. Thanks Jack

2. greengator

greengator LawnSite Member

I sharpen mine with a 4'' angle grinder, works well. Put the blade in a vise and sharpen away. Cheap $25. home depot

3. ludwiglawncare

ludwiglawncare LawnSite Member

4. magnamatic dedicated blade grinder ...gets the perfect edge and angle...cut off edge on the work table is a guide thaty lets you get the perfect angle.

5. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

... Magnamatics are the best, but you can get good results with a bastard file or a hand or bench grinder if you have the patience and the time.

Get a good balancer, not that garbage that was shown in the familyhandyman link.

6. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

OK, so what can you make or buy to balance a blade after sharpening? Anything from home depot or lowes that will do a good job?

7. DanTheGrassman

DanTheGrassman LawnSite Member
    from Canada

did somebody say bastard file....lol? well you just watch it mister or I'll pul out my half bastard and round bastard files on you!

I always get a kick out of word bastard files. Does anybody know why they call files bastards? Was it the persons name that invented the file?
    Or just a scruffy foul mouthed mechanic who came up with the term. Come to think of it they always say bastard when they pinch there fingers.

Dan.

8. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco has a bench grinder, I bought about 4 years ago, never gave me any trouble. It also gives the proper angel. I think it was around $350-$400 when I bought it. Bench grinders are ok, but you probably not getting the right angel. which makes all the difference.

I would say look around and find a blade sharpener that fits your needs. good luck

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

10. magnamatic balancer ..gets a true balance