Blade height different

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by rick2752, Jul 19, 2004.

1. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

I have a 1999 60" Lazer Z with 25H Kohler. I bought the unit used and have been fixing alot of little things but overall mower is in O.K. condition. While I was cleaning deck today i noticed that the discharge side blade was about a half inch higher than the other two. Spindles seem tight and nothing is loose, I swapped the blades around thinking one was bent but that didnt make a difference. Any Ideas on where to start? This isnt normal is it?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Rick,

If I had to guess I'd look for a bent deck or it is also possible that someone has swapped out a spindle at one time or another and replaced it with the wrong part. You can remove the belt shields and lay a straight edge across the top of the spindle pulley's to determine if the are all in "plane" with each other. You can also measure from the spindle housing to the top of the blade to check and see if the shafts are close in lenght. This won't tell you what the actual measurement is but you should be able to tell if the shafts are close in length.

Thanks

Terry

3. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

I laid a level across the front of the deck today and it looks pretty good. I will check to see if the spindles are on plane in the morning. I measured from the bottom and everything looked the same but i will dig deeper tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the quick response.

4. bracketshark

bracketshark LawnSite Member

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but I had to reply, I also bought a used 60" lazer Z with the same problem. It turned out it did have a incorrect spindle shaft installed. I replaced it with a new shaft and my problem was corrected. I don't see how anyone could ever bend one of these decks unless it was run over by a tank or something very heavy, these mowers are awesome.

5. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

I checked the spindle pulleys and they are in plane. Where is the part # on the spindle housing? Is it stamped somewhere? I am gonna buy new blades just to make sure its not them.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Rick,

I don't believe the p/n is stamped anywhere on the housing. If you didn't find anything with these quick inspections I'd recommend taking it into the dealer and have it looked at.

Thanks

Terry