Blade height for Exmarks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pugsly, May 25, 2003.

1. Pugsly

Pugsly LawnSite Member

In terms of number of spacers between top of balde and bottom of spindle, what do you all use for gators, standard hi lift and mulch?

I mean do you like having the blades closer to the top of the deck, ie less spacers between blade and spindle, or have the blades farther from the deck and closer to the turf, ie more spacers between the blade and spindle?

i have yet to find a good combo between the blade spacers and the front wheel spacers to get a good cut. I have a good cut height but either too much blow over onto the deck or the clippings are way to big and look like a sea of clippings on the lawn cause it don't cut the pieces up nice and small.

the instructions say that 3 out of the 4 spacers are good between the blade and spindle. but the cut looks like complete carp with large clippings (althought no clumping) left.

i tried gators (which i don't see any differance with the cut and the standard hi lifts.

i have a 36 metro. and could use any advise on where your setting are to get a good cut.

2. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

i have two spacers beneath my high lift blades and i have the deck set as high as it will go, i am cutting at three and a half right now, and i think it is cutting great. with the metro it is a pain to set the deck height, but make sure you do the back also which really sucks. you might wanna try having the back a little higher than the front

3. finish line strips

finish line strips LawnSite Member

I like to have only 2 spacers between deck and blades....my theory is it stripes better because the blades are farther up in the deck so it can create more suction and there for have better stripes.......i have my mowers set on 4"..

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

i keep mine at 2 spacers, as well.

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Raise your rear axle to the heighest
    one spacer each beneath spindles (over blades)
    all spacers beneath casters
    Hence you should have your height at 4" as manual said with blade pitching at 1/4 tipping down at the front.
    This is great cut and stripe with two 18" gator blades and never look back again!

6. Pugsly

Pugsly LawnSite Member

sounds good guys thanx. I beleive my rear is at the "d"? postion with "e" being the highest? I'll try out your guys recommendations.

Thanx:)

7. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

Exmark Viking...

Rear axle on "D" and one spacer below spindle and three above.

I run double hi-lifts in spring and really plows thru the wet grass and reduces the amount of build up under deck by half.

Take Care---Mike

8. Pugsly

Pugsly LawnSite Member

ok so how do you install double hi lifts? I have 2 sets of high lifts. do i just stack them on top of each other, put them at 90 degrees to each other or put 1 spacer between them? please help!

9. Pugsly

Pugsly LawnSite Member

thanx for the tips guys!!! went out today with my newlly installed double high lifts and made a huge differance!!!!! no more going back over the turf to get the area clean.

Thanx for all that emailed me also.:)