Blade height settings

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by brucec32, Jun 7, 2004.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a tool to properly measure blade height under the deck, and when I moved to a new area, I decided to check to make sure my blades were set up right. Before I could tell from experience what was "right" and when I cut at 3" it "looked like" 3" afterwards. But with new grasses here, I wanted to be sure.

After checking air pressure in tires and confirming the tool was accurate, I checked the blade height on my '03 Lazer Z hp 48" deck. When at the 4" setting the front tip of the blades reads exactly 3.5". The rears are about 1/4" higher. which seems to be right in terms of the setup. So the actual height, on a hard surface, is .5" below the indicated height on the machine.

My question: Is this the way it's supposed to be? I've never really given it a lot of thought over the years, just trusting the settings on my mowers themselves. I know that with the tires riding up over thick turf the actual cut level is probably about 4", possibly even more on the spongy St. Augustine here, so that makes sense. I was just curious if Exmark designed it to be this way.

I checked my two other large mowers, a 32" Toro with the Exmark fixed deck, and a Toro floater with their own design. The results, in both cases, were the same. Exactly a 1/2" lower front blade height than that indicated by the pin position or spacer/caster/rear axle setup. So my assumption is everything is ok, because the odds of three seperate mowers being off by exactly 1/2" are pretty long.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bruce 32,

I can only speak for the Lazer HP on this one but it should be cutting at the height indicated on the cutting height adjustment.

There are several things that can effect cutting height. Why you would have 3 units from two manufactures of 3 different designs all cutting 1/2" low is a surprise. It's not uncommon to have a mower that is cutting low. Variables such as tire wear, tire pressure etc. can effect the cutting height. Other items such as an adjustment that has "slipped" can create variances as well.

I guess if these were my machines the first thing I'd do is check the tire pressure on all units and then move the mowers to a different location and measure them again just to be certain.

It just strikes me as odd that you would have all 3 mowers cutting low by the same amount.

Thanks,

Terry

3. brucec32

That's why I assumed it was "designed in" somehow. I measured them in different spots, just to be sure. Pretty consistent readings. I purposely aired up the tires and double checked them, too. Odd. One mower is older and a little tire wear might account for SOME of the difference, but the other two are pretty new and have minimal tire wear.

I know I can move the chains up on the Lazer HP and fix it. I may not, just to stay consistent and just will set it 1/2" higher than I want. Thanks.

4. eXmark

Bruce,

This may sound silly but did you check the gauge? Maybe it's one of those foriegn gauges.

Terry

5. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2002 EPS Z and it cuts 1/4 lower than what it is set on. I have even went and leveled the deck as described in the owners manual and still 1/4 inch low. I just set the pin one notch higher.

6. brucec32

that was the first thing I suspected, but I measured it against a tape measure and they matched. It's made by J.D. I'm considering buying another lazer z hp since I mow Bahia and St. Aug and want to mulch on the St. Augustine but the Bahia really needs to be discharged when it's growing fast, from what I'm told. Also, I suspect the operation of the mulching kit is drawing sand up and recirculating it along with clippings, leading to rapid blade wear. If I get a reading 1/2" lower on that one I guess I will just assume I've entered the twilight zone!

7. brucec32

Just checked again. This time at an indicated 2.5" on the lazer hp. It's accurate!

Then back up to the 3.5" setting and it reads.....3" !

So apparently somewhere in the mechanism might be my problem. I'll break out the manual and see if it has setup tips.

I also have the oddball size 24x9.5 rear tires instead of 23x9.5 which appear to be on them now. I'm not sure if that would cause the error at some heights or not, with the rear sitting up 1/2" higher than others. Past a certain point my mind doesn't visualize this engineering stuff. But my blade pitch is between 1/8" and 1/4" even at the higher settings.

8. eXmark

Bruce,

Please give me a call at 1-800-667-5296. I want to have you check a couple of things for me ASAP and we may be able to get this one figured out.

Thanks,

Terry