1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Info

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mikol, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Mikol

Mikol LawnSite Member

Just starting out in the Business and I need some info so any would help.I would like to know what do you think is the best type of blade out there.I have a Toro 44" and a Gravely 36".WHAT GIVES THE BEST CUT. Thank you :dizzy:
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on conditions and grass type. Right now I side discharge and use Gator blades over normal lifts in an + pattern. When it gets dry and dusty that will be a mess (too much vacuum), so I will go to singles. Try a search on "blades" in the search and see what comes up. There have been numerous posts on blade and blade combos.
  3. walshdevo10

walshdevo10 LawnSite Member

I'm over here on the east coast of Florida and I use either hi-lift or gator blades. I always use singles though, I never double up because I also have a toro 44" and in my opinion, the toro has such a high blade tip speed (somewhere like 18,500) to be able to use just singles, never had a problem and you know how this st. augustine/flortam gets THICK!!!
    Good Luck, Jim
  4. Brian135

Brian135 LawnSite Member

what do you guys mean when you say double up the blades?
    I have an idea but what exactly do you mean?
  5. walshdevo10

walshdevo10 LawnSite Member

Brian, let's say on my Toro it take (3) 15 1/2 inch blades. Doubling would mean I would be putting on (6), put on one then the second making a cross with yet.
  6. Brian135

Brian135 LawnSite Member

Thats what i thought, but does this really help?
    and wouldnt this be harder on the deck belt and everything else?
    do they make a bracket or something to make cross with the blades?
    if not how do you keep them from moving?