blade is very tight....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Apr 23, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Over the weekend I purchased my first mower. An Exmark 36" Metro.
    Decided to go with Gator blades at the suggestion of the dealer.
    As I was about to change them today I noticed that one blade wasn't turning very well. It seemed real tight whereas the other blade would turn with a push.
    This is my first mower so I don't really know squat about them. I thought maybe the bolt that holds the blade on was just too tight, but after changing the blades and tightening them both with about the same force, it was still really tight.
    Could it have something to do with the belts?
    I could take it back to the dealer but I start my first lawns tomorrow.
    What do you guys think? Suggestions as to what I can look at myself, or back to dealer?
    Thanks.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it's not that the bolt was too tight. This is something you DON'T want, is the blade turning within the bolt and spindle! Otherwise, it's ready to fall off within a small matter of time. Probably, what YOUR deal is, is just thetightness of the belt(s)-completely normal. More often than not, it's the center blade that feels the tightest. This is the one that comes fron the main spindle. Occasionally, it can be the left or right spindle, especially if the main belt that wraps around the center spindle ALSO goes around one of the outside spindles. Nothing to worry about, and on future mowers, you'll probably find that you can't even turn one blade without turning all the blades at once.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There is a blade brake that engages when the blades aren't spinning. This is normal, get to work!

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

at least call the dealer and ask the same question you pososted.

GEO