Blade Life

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOWARD JONES, Jul 23, 2001.

1. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

I have 40 hours on a Toro 62" Z Master - standard blades are knife-edging on the trailing edge. I have been cutting in sandy/dusty conditions part of the time - is this close to normal blade life, and would any of you recommend a different blade?

2. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

You can get 300 t0 400 hundred hours out of a set blades if
    sharpen them every 6 to 8 hours on good grinder like a R.B.G.
    keep the edge sharp and stright and you'll be in good shape.

3. Hello:

But in Sandy areas or Bare Spots expect the Blade life to drop quite a bit.

It's like putting a High Powered Sand Blaster on the first few inches of the Blade tips & Blades will not last long at all. Besides that it is Drastically Reducing your Mower Deck life T00!

Oh no More, it doesn't do the Rest of your Mower any Good either. Figure out ways to Eliminate it or Charge extra for it, because it is Costing you more to Operate your Equipment.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's like I've said before about production rates for different areas, it varies from place to place and from individual to individual. I've got 120 hrs. on my Dixie blades and they are shot. The blades are Gator Mulcher Magnums. We do not have sandy abrasive conditions but the grass grows like the dickens and just wears the blades right out.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

one thing guys running doubles ought to consider,is that the worn blades are lighter and may be easier on the clutch ,
    when engaging blades.